The Planted Tank Forum banner

Does anyone know where I can find some decent sized pieces of petrified wood?

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  kbomb 
#1 ·
Basically, what I'm looking for are decent sized (~10" long or longer) pieces of unpolished/unfinished petrified wood. I don't even really know where to start, but I can guess that having 10lbs worth of stone shipped is probably more expensive than just buying it somewhere.

#3 ·
Stuff like this really, I don't even know if it's legit petrified wood:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=382473&highlight=petrified+wood

I have some small pieces of what I had been told was petrified wood from petland out in lake saint louis, but I'm kind of looking for stuff that looks a bit like cliffs. What I've got basically looks like really short cliffs, which might work for my 12g nanocube aquascape, but I would like a couple larger (taller) stones to work off of.

#9 ·
If you have any dense woods near by the nobody really goes to I'd start there. I used to collect petrified wood all the time on my families property near Hillsboro, Mo. As a long term rock hound I have found peices that are 3 and 5 pounds just sitting on the surface of the ground. They look like normal logs too!!! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.