The Planted Tank Forum banner

Orientation of CO2?

988 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  jgc 
#1 ·
Just wondering, does the CO2 tank have to be vertical? That's the only way I've ever seen gas cylinders, so I've always just assumed so, but it has occurred to me to question this assumption. If they could go on their sides, that would allow for a shorter stand while still being able to have the CO2 stored in the stand rather than remotely. Obviously the gauges would be harder to read, and you'd need a remote bubble counter rather than the kind that is part of the needle mechanism. But would there be other issues as well? Valves not working correctly for instance?

#2 ·
The CO2 in the tank is liquid in it's compressed form and would flow from the tank in that form if the tank were horizontal or inverted. So, yes, it does need to be kept vertical.

#3 ·
Gotcha. That's all I wanted to know. Thanks!

#4 ·
So compressed gas as a liquid. Think of opening a 2L bottle of pop on its side (or upside down) only worse.

RoseHawke said:
Just wondering, does the CO2 tank have to be vertical? That's the only way I've ever seen gas cylinders, so I've always just assumed so, but it has occurred to me to question this assumption. If they could go on their sides, that would allow for a shorter stand while still being able to have the CO2 stored in the stand rather than remotely. Obviously the gauges would be harder to read, and you'd need a remote bubble counter rather than the kind that is part of the needle mechanism. But would there be other issues as well? Valves not working correctly for instance?

#6 ·
It can be done, but would require additional hardware. Basically it requires an expansion chamber between the cylinder and the regulator (to allow the liquid co2 to boil). Rarely will it be worth the time, effort, and expense.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.