The Planted Tank Forum banner

New to planted tanks, looking for some input!

940 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  karce87 
#1 ·
Hello guys, I recently joinned this forum, since I might have caught the planted tank bug. I'm familiar with aquariums, been keeping nano/pico reefs for a couple of years, and also had some freshwater tanks, never a planted tank though. But going to my LFS and seeing a beautifull 2 gal planted tank, really set a fire under my rear :D .

For my first tank, I want it to be small and simple. I have a "vision" of what I want it to look like. I'd like to use a deep blue 3 gallon long I believe? It's the tank with 5 sections for bettas. I would like to add a nice peice of driftwood, and various mosses attached ( riccia,christmas tree, ect.) and have the moss grow in providing cover. Maybe a few small, and easy foreground plants, ( dwarf hairgrass, ect).

Fish would probably be a couple of neon tetras, maybe a few small shrimp.

So, I plan on using an aquaclear 30 for a filter.

And, here are my questions.

What kind of media should I use in the filter?

What is a good light I should use?

Would dosing, or c02 be neccesary?

Should RO/ RODI water be used?

Substrate?

Any help would be appreciated! And if this is not in the right section, feel free to move it.

See less See more
#2 ·
What kind of media should I use in the filter?

I prefer sponges to anything else, for their superior capacity, long life span, mechanical + biological filtration, and easy maintenance (squeeeeze).

What is a good light I should use?

Depends on whether you want to go high tech or low tech.

Would dosing, or c02 be neccesary?

Depends on whether you want to go high tech or low tech.

Should RO/ RODI water be used?

No - plants do need some minerals to grow.

Substrate?

Yes. If you are starting out, I would recommend a bag of Flourite or Eco Complete.

#4 ·
Okay, So after browing various threads on here, and doing some thinking myself, I have decided to go with a moss/shrimp tank. That is the oprtion that appeals the most to me. So instead of starting a new thread, I figured i'd just ask here.

So, I have the DBP 18x6x7" tank.

I also just bought an 18", 300 lumen LED fixture off [Ebay Link Removed]

My main questions are,

What filter/media should I go with for a moss/shrimp tank?

I only plan on keeping a few cherry shrimp in there, maybe a couple neon tetras, so with that in mind, what should my PH, GH, and KH be?

How much flow should the tank have?

Thanks you guys for all the help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.