The Planted Tank Forum banner

Planting the 20L

2K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  Beardie 
#1 ·
I've had this tank flooded for aprox. 3 weeks now and I'm really happy with how it looks so far, I would just like some other opinions on where to go from here.

Hardscape (not going to change)

Current FTS

Planting diagram

Plants that I currently have available as options in other tanks: Crypt lutea, hygrophila difformis, and pennywort.

Green circles: Represent plants that are there now. (Giant java moss ball will be removed soon) I'm completely open to moving things if better ideas pop up.

Blue circle: Thinking this would be a good spot for the crypt lutea.

Purple circle: HC carpet?

Red circle: This is the one i really need help with. Could be a good spot for the hygro difformis, but I'm not sure how that will look once it grows in since what I have is just a very small portion at the moment. I want a medium size plant that will transition from the tall rotala down to the dwarf sag.

Let me know what you guys think as far as what I have, what could change, what could be added. I'm open to all comments and really just want to hear opinions and discuss the tank.

See less See more
#4 ·
I do not currently have any co2, but I have a paintball co2 tank laying around that's egging me onto a new project when I have the cash. This is my first full out planted tank so I have no experience with co2, but I'm sure with all the info on here I should be able to figure it out. What would you suggest for something red? That's a great idea.

#5 ·
OK - you did ask :smile:

The two anubias, attach them to the bases of the two driftwood pc directly behind each one so they will grow up the driftwood. I use super glue gel.

Pull the Hygro C and switch it with the dwarf sag. Fill the left rear corner with Hygro C, fill in the front with dwarf sag.

The Red circle, dwarf sag will give you a hight break and create a point interest as it will draw your eye back there vs. a wall of taller plants.

Or, find a red stem sp.

#11 ·
Before you glue I suggest you tie the Anubias to the driftwood to be sure you like the placement. I use jute string. It's a little bigger, natural and it's kinder to the plant than sewing thread or fishing line. Some people only use this method but it can take months for anubias to take hold itself. I do use this method myself sometimes.

...Are there any specific types of super glue I should use? Are all aquarium safe? Any tips on how to do this?

Super Glue GELL, just a drop or two on the driftwood, hold the rhizome in place until the glues sets. You don't need to have the wood dry either. I just pat dry the wood with paper towel. With bigger plants like Anubias, I find it easier to prop the plant in place vs. holding it. When you hold the plant it always wiggles a little and you never get a great seal on the glue. Another trick is glue the Rhizome in one spot (or two if it's long) and also one or two of the roots.

This is mopane I started a few Java rhizomes on last year.

#12 ·
I was planning on doing the gluing in the tank. I don't want to take the large piece of driftwood out because it's been submerged for so many years that it's super soft and delicate, and also because I have it buried just right so that it wont stick out of the tank. I guess my plan is just to put a few drops on the rhizome and then hold it onto the wood. I might even have somebody else hold it while I tie it down. Unfortunately I've been working a lot this week so I haven't had time to do the rescacpe yet, but Friday is my day off so it'll definitely get done then.

#13 ·
Update 11-8-13

Finally got around to the long awaited rescape today and I'm very happy with it so far.

Updated FTS

Right side

Left side

I liked the idea of having a break in the tall background plants across the back so I put some dwarf sag in the back between the rotala and my new broad leaf ludwigia. Great idea DogFish. I'm really liking this plant, minus the fact that it doesn't want to stay in the soil... :icon_evil Will it eventually grow roots and stay put or am I going to have to get some weights for it?

I moved the hygro corymbosa to the far left where it will eventually grow and I can propagate it into 3 or 4 plants. Hopefully that won't take too long :icon_conf.

I broke the HC that I got from Texex :)proud:) into a bunch of smaller clumps and placed those all over the front left to grow a carpet, and expecting the dwarf sag to do the same on the right. I think the 2 heights of carpet will work out nicely.

My frogbit was taking over so I pulled almost all of that out. In such a short tank it really gets in the way since the roots were nearly touching the soil. If anyone wants any frogbit just let me know and I'll be happy to send you a handful.

I've noticed good growth on everything and already need to trim my rotala since it's bending at the surface. All that's left to do is glue the anubias to the wood and wait for everything to fill in. SO EXCITING!

Also have to share a pic of these guys that I couldn't pass up at the store today (6 x Corydoras habrosus)

#16 ·
Wait a minute let me get this straight... stay OUT of the tank....? How does one accomplish such a feat? I think I'll manage since now that this one is where I want it I have 2 other tanks that need attention.

Hahaha hopefully the cories don't give me too much of a hard time, so far they kinda swim around the HC clumps because I still have a lot of open substrate. With that being said, I'm gonna go watch those little buggers for a while and enjoy my new tank. :bounce:

#18 ·
After a couple tries I finally got the anubias to stick to the wood. Just put a few spots of glue on the rhizome and held it on the wood for a minute and a half, pretty simple. Only trouble I had was getting a good spot for the glue to bond to on my larger piece of wood. All I had to do was rub it a bit to get the soft outer layer to come off. As always, here's a few pics...

FTS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.