The Planted Tank Forum banner

How to drill steel plate, need suggestions

2K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  DKShrimporium 
#1 · (Edited)
I want to mount the bolt shown into the steel plate size shown with a nut on the other side (I think it's 3/16 inch thick plate), need to make holes into the steel plate. Hole diameter is larger than half inch, probably 5/8 inch. Steel plate is not hardened to my knowledge, that scrap was cut yesterday with a sawzall and metal blade. Can you suggest the best method to create the holes?

Any help would be appreciated.

#2 ·
Bit for metal cutting and lubrication. Oil

#3 ·
Drill press with 5/8" metal hole saw would be the best method. Vice and drill will work fine if not available.

#5 ·
Would this bit work? http://www.lowes.com/pd_126221-70-DW1622++G_4294707816__?productId=3420094&Ntt=drill+bit+5/8

I have lubricant for a paper shredder, designed for high temperature metal on metal lubrication, I think that would work.

I have a cheapo harbor freight drill press, a monster milwaukee corded drill (1/2 inch hammer), and a cheapo dewalt 3/8 cordless (the $100 christmas special one) drill that does give me good lower RPMS when I want them.

#6 ·
That will work. it will just take forever.

Hole saw style is a lot quicker, your removing a lot less material for the same hole. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bosch-5-8-in-Bi-Metal-Hole-Saw-HB063/203570894#.UcszUZz7k9Y

you could use a step bit too, these things are handy to have around. They dont last real long drilling metal though if you have several holes to drill. http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece-titanium-nitride-coated-high-speed-steel-step-drills-91616.html

I happen to also own a HF drill press, had it for over 10 years the damn thing wont die!

#7 ·
If you have a drill press and a vise , it will be a snap, very easy . If you do not have vice then it gets a little tricky , use a good set of vice grips and drill into a peace of wood and hold very tightly . If you do not have a drill press but have a vice a hand drill will work but is slower and can be tricky when you get about through . If you do not have drill or vice call someone who has one LOL . :biggrin:

#8 ·
Thanks for the input, TPTers. I'm checking out one more option which is a friend with a wood shop locally. He might have a buddy with a machining shop.

I do have a drill press, but am not sure it won't slip on me as earlier this year I had to clean and re-seat a slipping chuck, on much less torque than I think metal drilling would take. I do have vices mounted to workbenches. I do not have a lot of hand strength. (I have already cracked one finger using a hole hawg that tied up on me, and while I do have a corded hammer drill with ample torque, I'm a bit afraid to try holding it freehand for metal work.) I do have a stubborn will to find solutions, though.

The local actual machine shops wanted upwards of $200 to take on a project, which is way beyond what I'm needing - I just need two lousy holes.

I'll let y'all know what I end up doing.

DK

#9 ·
Cutting through that just stand on the sheet (on top of a piece of wood) and drill. Whatever corded drill you have.Take your time and lubricate. It isn't that hard to do. Just get a bit for ferrous metals. That bit from Lowes looks like it's more for thinner sheet metal not steel plate. And don't put it on hammer if it's a hammerdrill.

#10 ·
Mark your location with a center punch first. Drill a pilot hole with a sharp smaller bit. Drill again with a size about 1/2 way between your first bit and your final size. Finally drill with the size you want. Any regular old oil will work. I've even used cooking oil to drill steel before.
Rodney

#11 ·
Mark your location with a center punch first. Drill a pilot hole with a sharp smaller bit. Drill again with a size about 1/2 way between your first bit and your final size. Finally drill with the size you want. Any regular old oil will work. I've even used cooking oil to drill steel before.
Rodney
This. Slowly work your way up to your desired hole size. If I'm going to a half inch hole, I'll often go 1/8, 1/4, 1/2

#14 ·
this is not done yet? :tongue:

Do you have more plate other than piece you you cut already? Be a lot easier to drill while its still a large sheet, then cut it.

What are you trying to accomplish here anyway? Cant use a washer?

#15 ·
Guys, I lucked out. I got this guy to do it for $25 while I wait. For that, I pay someone else to do it for me! D. Cooper has always done great things for me and I have no problem supporting his shop with this. I sent an inquiry with pictures last night at 9 pm and had a response with quote just now. That's the type of business you want to support, when you support a local business.

I will update when they are drilled. I won't have them drilled until my other parts arrive and I'm ready to pull the part for drilling and assemble the whole project, all at once.

Thank you all for your input, I really appreciate it.

DK

#17 ·
Whoo-hoo. D. Cooper always does good business. They drilled those suckers in about 3 minutes, perfectly, charged me $5, and gave me two locking washers to fit, to boot.

Pictures of the project to come, when I have my compressor fired up, later. Pouring rain right now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.