The Planted Tank Forum banner

Want to Kill This Tank!!!!!!

2K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  Scottyhorse 
#1 ·
Okay, so one of my tanks is 25 gallons. I am really getting to my wits end with it and seriously considering selling it. Lately it is just becoming full of problems.

1. All my plants are dying, eaten, or being uprooted
2. I have a terrible algae problem
3. My nitrates are sky high and won't go down ( will admit I am over stocked. Not a whole lot though. Taking some fish to the lfs monday)
No matter how many water changes I do, they won't budge.
4. The filter doesn't pick up debris well.
5. Remaining plants are suffering from numerous deficiencies, but I can't dose ferts because it will make my nitrates even higher.
6. I don't have enough money to buy a larger filter, because I have no money :redface: hehe not old enough for a job

It's really frustrating. So I have three options:

1. Sell the tank
2. Completely get rid of everything, and start over
3. Figure out how to fix the many problems

See less See more
#2 ·
Sorry to hear about your tank issues, but name all your equipment you're using.

• Brand name & model numbers?
  • Same with the livestock, what types of fish do you have & how many?
  • How long has your tank been running?
  • Type of lighting you're using?
  • How long do you leave your lights on?
  • Any photos of your current setup?

Time to head out, but.... I'm sure someone will respond before I get back this evening.

Good luck.

#5 ·
Sorry to hear about your tank issues, but name all your equipment you're using.

• Brand name & model numbers?
  • Same with the livestock, what types of fish do you have & how many?
  • How long has your tank been running?
  • Type of lighting you're using?
  • How long do you leave your lights on?
  • Any photos of your current setup?

Time to head out, but.... I'm sure someone will respond before I get back this evening.

Good luck.
Filter: Aqueon Quiet Flow 30
Heater: Aqueon
Lights: Coralife T5 67k, 26-ish watts
Fish: 4 Gold Barbs, 2 Platies, 2 Guppies, 5 Cory Cats, 1 German Ram Pair (they spawn every week) 4 tetras (gold/pristella)
I am taking the barbs and the gups to the LFS monday
Lights 10 hours a day
No pictures of it right now

#8 ·
I agree that 10 hours is a bit much. With the options you gave I would reverse those. Solve, revamp and then sell. Use a timer for your light. I would go 6-8 hours per day.

There are only two ways to get rid of nitrates. 1) water changes and 2) plants that soak it up. I would get some plants that are hogs with nutrients in the water column. There are a few floating plants that are great at this as well as a few rooted plants such as water wisteria in which can float as well believe. Even though you may not like them, get plants that soak up nutrients and change them out if you want later down the road once your tank is under control.

As far a filter I would invest in a canister. Even a DIY one would probably be better than what you have. With the exception of the Aquaclears (dual sponged), I wouldn't use any other HOB but that is my preference. If you don't want to change out your filter add a power head such as a koralia nano or similar. Depending on tank positioning, you can keep debris in the water column to eventually get picked up by the filter.

Uprooting - Are your tank inhabitants compatible with a planted tank. Where your plants establish before adding fish. What substrate are you using. Some plants are more difficult than others to plant in certain substrates. Check the requirements for your plants and make sure your meeting them.

#11 ·
I was thinking of getting some duckweed. I know it can become a pain but it is supposed to work wonders so I will need to find some, hopefully that will help.

I am interested in making a filter.. As long as it's not too complicated ;)

The plants were all established, I have been running the tank since January first. Using FloraMax for substrate.

#10 ·
I may have asked you this before, I apologize if I have, but have you tested the nitrate levels in your tap water?

I too recommend a different filter and a shorter photoperiod. Aquaclear HOB's are very effective and good if you're on a budget. If you're willing to spend more, canisters are awesome. (But I know how it feels to be an unemployed teen ;) ) You can pick up a light timer from a hardware store at a very low price, $8 or so.

#13 ·
I would check your tap water. I went to college in a rural town, and we would frequently be advised not to drink the tap water because of nitrates from farm runoff.

I have the exact same set up. Light, tank, substrate, photoperiod etc. The filter does suck (I'm planning on getting a canister eventually), and the light is pretty low. Make sure you're choosing hardy low light plants. Anything that needs medium light probably won't make it. Crypts and anubias do really well, the stem plants I have do okay, but grow a bit leggy. My other thought is that you didn't mention having any algae eaters. I have both otos and a nerite to help clean up algae.

What kind of algae do you have? I have very small amounts of GSA (back glass) and hair algae on one plant. Diatoms have been my issue. I'm curious if the diatoms I have are a water issue or a light/flow issue.

#17 ·
Is that from tap or your tank?

Oh wow! That is rough. I'm guessing others will come along and suggest RO water. Cuz if there is that much nitrate in your tap, well, I'm not sure if there is anything you can do about that.

I hope someone is able to help you find a reasonable solution.
Thats only if its from tap. Even then I would probably see if my tank could benefit from high nitrate levels if not I would mix it with RO. In my heavily planted co2 injected 55g I struggled to even register nitrates. My plants soaked up all of it so dosing was necessary. Most of the time dosing is required to bring up nitrates for the plants.

If your test is from your tank, then the previous postings should be taken into consideration. Like I stated before there is only two ways to solve high nitrate levels in a tank....only two.

#16 ·
Oh wow! That is rough. I'm guessing others will come along and suggest RO water. Cuz if there is that much nitrate in your tap, well, I'm not sure if there is anything you can do about that.

On duckweed...see if you can find the "greater duckweed". It is larger leaves and so therefore much easier to control if you ever want to get rid of it than the little tiny duckweed. I just received an order of asian watermoss, aka salvinia cucullata. It has short little roots and my shrimp are all over it ever since they realized it was there. If it is at all of interest to you, PM me cuz even though I just got it, I have enough I'm sure I could part with a bit that would get you started. I'm guessing it will multiply like crazy and in a few weeks I'll have too much as it is. I'm having a nitrite issue, so I feel your pain.

I hope someone is able to help you find a reasonable solution.

#20 ·
Here's my reccomendation.
If your tank is in such disarray that you are giving thoughts to just jettison everything, it must be in really really bad shape. I think it would be a very difficult battle if you try to simply let things come to equilibrium. Instead, I would either redo it, or nuke the tank with 1-2 punch or a blackout. Huge water changes and then add in a ton of fast easy plants liek anacharis. Then wait.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.