The Planted Tank Forum banner

frrok's Aqua Pro 25cm Cube

29K views 123 replies 30 participants last post by  Soup12 
#1 · (Edited)
Started playing around with a new setup today. 25cm Aqua Pro cube. This will be a low tech setup with moss covered lava rocks and easy to grow un-demanding plants. Here's a few low quality phone shots. I'm contemplating adding more Aquasoil for added depth. What do you guys think? I understand that the stones will be covered up eventually. That is the plan. The stand is an Eheim aquastyle 4. Got it on Amazon for $47 shipped!

This will most likely house a betta and an amano shrimp. Maybe a couple of ottos.

See less See more
#4 ·
I'd be a little wary with the tank overhanging the stand, even by a little bit, especially with a rimless tank. You might want to get a small piece of plywood and paint it to match, so that the glass isn't having stress points where it overhangs the wood edges.

#10 ·
Back in the game... Slowly 25cm Cube.

Unfortunately my betta died today. So I'm either going to get another betta or do either shrimp and micro rasboras. Haven't decided yet. But anyway. I added another strip of 3 12k white and I made a 25cm X 25cm plate of plywood and painted it white. All 4 corners are now supported. I also spent the day planting some plants and plan dry starting for a few weeks. Here are some updated shots. I planted some crypts that i have growing emersed but i may end up pulling then out if i get more plants. Thanks for looking.

With added light strip and hardscape.

Planted. Haven't decided on a foreground yet. May be tough if this is a low tech scape.

#12 ·

Thanks!
I only used those rocks so the moss will have something to attach to... It's not really meant to be a "hardscape" per se. The focus will be more of the plants growing around it. I want a mix of stems and moss to kind of grow into each other. More like wabi sabi...
If you look at my old thread I did something similar.

#15 ·
so came back from a two week vacation in hawaii and left this tank on autopilot. I made sure to leave plenty of moisture in the tank so it would not dry out. I figured by the time I came back I would see some growth. Well Im back and I see very little growth and it looks the moss has browned out. Humidity was fine i still saw moisture on the glass. Could be my lighting still not strong enough. Considering another strip of white. Also, the heat in my place is not on super high. room temp is around 68 and the LED doesn't produce alot of heat. I never thought that I could kill moss...but its def brown. Crypts seem ok, new leaves a couple melted but thats expected. Everything else is sort of meh, new growth but very very slow. not dead though.

let me know your thoughts....

#21 ·

And they are rebounding as we speak! Thanks for the advice Frank ... Here is the latest.

I think I've decided on HM(MM) as a foreground. Planning on trimming it down short periodically to keep it down so it doesn't grow taller than the mid ground plants. Was debating on riccia as well, but not sure if I want to spend the time tying it rocks! I may add it as accents in the future. In the distant future I will most likely add co2, unless I get shrimp, then maybe not. I haven't decided. Right now, I think I'm going with a trio of scarlet badis.

Another side note, the micranthemum umbrosum is taking off! This tank is almost ready to be flooded.

#30 ·
April 1st updated. Very blue shot but plants are thriving. 50+ stems of HM are on the way. should fill up my forground... Im hoping they dont get too tall. if they start to grow up I will trim short. If plans dont work out I will spring for a paintball setup on this one also... FYI- look for my MINI-M layout. Should be ready really soon. Got stones and tank and stand all ready to go. let me know what you think!

#32 ·

Cool thanks for the advice! I took PAR readings. I'm getting around 25 PAR at the substrate and around 45-50 in the middle. It's a pretty good light. I should be ok with a low-light setup. But I just hope everything stays bushy when flooded. I just have to be patient with trimming.

#39 ·
Added sone HM as a forground. not sure how it will be without co2... if it doesnt work out, ill try something different. I'm really enjoying viewing this from multiple angles. let me know what you think!
P.S. really cant wit to flood it, I'm giving it a week or so to take root, then im adding water....cant take it anymore. I want to see some movement.

#45 ·
Thanks. Much appreciated.
I feel your pain. Sourcing plants is def tough. Took me awhile to find HM in quantity.

Too bad they forgot to ship your Order. That's odd.
They're a pretty small operation, just like mine.

Not to speak for them, but sometimes things get so busy that it's easy to get overwhelmed. Mistakes happen, and it sucks when it does. But usually the customer ends up ahead when a mistake is made, at least with my style of handling similar circumstances.

#48 ·

Hey guys. Just a quick update.
Picked up a trio of Dario Dario(Scarlet Badis) from msjinxed. I was lucky enough to meet her where she picks up her stock. The fish were in great health even after being in a bag for a few days. I urge anyone who is interested in micro fish to look her up. Anyway, I plan on flooding this tank this weekend and if all goes well add the fish as well. For filtration I will probably use a Red Sea nano HOB for now. Although, I think that it it doesn't house enough media. Speaking of media, I'm just going to take some matrix out of my Eheim stuff it in the HOB. THats pretty much it. I'll take a shot once its filled this weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.