The Planted Tank Forum banner

Sumps???

3K views 33 replies 10 participants last post by  XenoMorph2049 
#1 ·
I have a tank that is 36 X 24 X 12 with 1.5 wpg, a fluval 304 and Eheim Pro II 2026 filters. I am using liquid ferts and my plants are growing nicely.

However, since starting ferts I am getting hair algea everywhere. I was thinking that if I added Anacaris and a few other fast growers the algea would go away but I dont want to add them to my tank.

This is what I am thinking. I have 3 yrs experience as a fabricator when I worked at TAP Plastics in the Bay Area and can get 1/8's and 1/4" sheets for a good price. I was thinking that if I built a sump of say 20 gal size, kept the water level at about 50%, and hit it with 2wpg +/- of lights, and filled the sump with these fast growers that my problems would be solved.

Am I wasting time and money or would this be a good idea/

#30 ·
jgc/BlueRam- Thanks guys! GREAT info! Now I can comfortably use my overflow, remote locate my heater, and have a safe house for my shrimp.
Now a little of topic, would a Magnum 350 be able to lift water from the sump and return it into the main tank? It wount be my primary return, but one less hose would be nice. The only reason to put the return in the main tank would be to spread out the water flow a bit. If not, Ill just make a DIY spraybar for my return pump.

#31 ·
XenoMorph2049 said:
jgc/BlueRam- Thanks guys! GREAT info! Now I can comfortably use my overflow, remote locate my heater, and have a safe house for my shrimp.
Now a little of topic, would a Magnum 350 be able to lift water from the sump and return it into the main tank? It wount be my primary return, but one less hose would be nice. The only reason to put the return in the main tank would be to spread out the water flow a bit. If not, Ill just make a DIY spraybar for my return pump.
Not sure if could handle it. Plus it depends on how much flow is coming from the tank. You must be able to match the flow coming in with the return.

#32 ·
I don't think using a canister for a return is a good idea, the flow into most canister filters is based on the siphon from the main tank. You are not going to get much of a siphon with the canister sitting next to the sump. I would invest in a dedicated return pump and build the DIY spraybar; BTW I built one recently and Fusion spraypaint qorks great on PVC, just wipe it with MEK before you paint it to knock the gloss off of the pipe. If you already have the 350 you can use it running in the sump for additional mechanical filtration, or chemical when you need it.

#33 ·
No, the Magnum is a bad choice for a return pump as the additional head would slow the rate (or none at all), the Magnum would function as a siphon and empty half the tank onto the floor in a power outage, and after emptying half the tank it would likely airlock when the power comes back on and burn up... Just buy the correct return pump and all will be well.

So the way to prevent the return siphon with the return pump is to A) drill a hole just under the water level to break the siphon or B) use a check valve as mentioned prior. My tank uses the hole.

XenoMorph2049 said:

#34 ·
Cool, I figured it wouldnt be able to lift without the intake assisting with gravity, but the siphon never even occured to me. I have the return pump already, so Ill just use the Magnum in the sump or use some clear acrylic tubing and replace the nasty looking brown hoses it came with. Whew, thats one bullet dodged, thanks guys!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.