lava rock in vivarium
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 02-18-2013, 04:35 PM   #1
Shylis
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

lava rock in vivarium

I am planning my vivarium (tropical), and im wondering if lava rock is safe and suitable for use in it as both the drainage layer and you "build" background eliments. I really like the look of it, its light weight and i can get it relativly cheap.
Shylis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 07:55 PM   #2
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Lava rock should be fine. It's inert, and won't affect water chemistry (unless it's got other stones mixed in, or some sort of contamination, but I think that's somewhat rare).

My first paludarium build was just a bunch of lava rock siliconed together to create a background, waterfall, and ledge.

It was incredibly time consuming and heavy, but worked pretty well, didn't look bad, and moss loved growing on it.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 10:16 PM   #3
Shylis
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Awesome! Thats what i was hoping for. You wouldnt happen to have pics of the setup youre talking about, would you? Id like to see some lava rock creations. What kind of silicone did you use or reccomend?
Shylis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 08:43 PM   #4
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

No, I don't, sorry. I had given the tank away over a decade ago.

I just used the standard aquarium-safe silicone, I believe it was just the GE windows&doors clear, but I'm not certain. went through several caulk-gun tubes.

I just bought a bag or two of lava rock at a hardware store/garden center, and then tried to piece them together sorta like building a stone wall, to minimize the gaps betwixt them.

I started by gluing in some pvc or something for the pump chamber/overflow, and a piece of tubing going to the opposite corner for the waterfall output.

Then I just laid the tank on it's back, and started siliconing lava rocks to the back pane and one of the sides. After that was done, I then built out a ledge at about water level, with a few pockets to hold substrate and terrestrial plants, built up the waterfall area, and built a pillar to support the ledge.

It's definitely lighter then bricks, but it can still get fairly heavy. I was just doing a 10 gallon, and the thing must of weighed about 40 lbs or so when I was done.

I'm currently messing with some pumice I bought at a landscape supply place (labeled 'Feather Rock') and considering using it in a paludarium/riparium I'm currently planning. Also lightweight, and it can be cut/shaped fairly easily (for a rock...).
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2013, 01:49 AM   #5
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Gorilla glue works great for joining lava rock too.
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.