The Planted Tank Forum banner

CO2 or not with Low Tech

3K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  Hoppy 
#1 ·
I am switching my tank from High Tech to Low Tech, but I seem to be getting lots of thoughts some saying I should keep CO2 and cut back light & ferts while others say just to get rid of the CO2. What everyone thoughts on this?

#11 ·
I also ditched my CO2 and went back to low-light. No ferts, no nothing. Just happy fish and happy plants. The plants grow slowly, but they seem pretty healthy to me and the look great.

I have been toying with the idea of turning back on the CO2, since I still have the whole setup (whole system for sale if anyone in Denver is looking). But, I don't want to put too much or my neocardina shrimp will stop breeding, and I'm starting to wonder what the point of adding CO2 would be.

If the plants grow a bit faster that doesn't really help me at all. There is nominal algae in the tank, and no problems that CO2 would fix.

So, now that it's been a few months I am pretty sure I just want to get rid of the CO2 and be done with it.

#12 ·
really just depends on what ur looking to get out of ur tank? no info on that . . . if i had another co2 i would still throw it on a low light tank just a little extra co2 really helps, but its all up to what you want out of it and whats in it ect ect. are u tryin to just go for low tech no co2 an any "fancy" things or just low light? low light doesnt have to be low tech.

#15 ·
Thanks everyone for the reply's
My goals...
Have a nice planted tank, low maint.
Use Less Ferts if any
Use Less CO2
Avoid doing water changes every week (if I can)
Already have one child that 2 and a 2nd on the way, time is going to be limited. The CO2 system I have now is very high tech, high pressure, dual strage reg, with huge reactor and 20 lbs CO2 tank.

Most critical goal? Have wife stop yelling at me for working on the tank too much and also making a mess of the living room. ha ha

#16 ·
Thanks everyone for the reply's
My goals...
Have a nice planted tank, low maint.
Use Less Ferts if any
Use Less CO2
Avoid doing water changes every week (if I can)
Already have one child that 2 and a 2nd on the way, time is going to be limited. The CO2 system I have now is very high tech, high pressure, dual strage reg, with huge reactor and 20 lbs CO2 tank.

Most critical goal? Have wife stop yelling at me for working on the tank too much and also making a mess of the living room. ha ha

It is amazing what can be done with this!:redface:

#17 ·
Just say no to C02 based on your goals, like others have said.

Go for a good substrate and low-light root feeders. I personally prefer organic potting soil (not mineralized, I do a hybrid dry start to let organics start breaking down). With no c02 and low light, you won't need to change water or prune plants often or deal with dosing ferts. The most you might need is some excel.

My favorites: crypts hands down. Java fern and anubias come in a close second.

Seriously, get rid of the c02 and save yourself hours of work and maintenance. Pick the right plants, and you can still have a lush and dense planted tank. I think it's nicer on the critters too when they aren't being blasted with ferts and co2 constantly.

#19 ·
I thought about the the organic potting soil, but don't know how that would work with my substrate. I have the substrate from aquarium plants dot com. (I got free from them) just not sure if it would be a good cap. I think is size is smaller than eco-complete.

#25 ·
The "right way to go" with low light tanks includes very few parameters. Primarily, and almost exclusively, it refers to having low light. After that you can add whatever else makes your planted tank experience best for you, including CO2, specialized aquarium substrates, special filters, fertilizer dosing, powerheads in the tank, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.