The Planted Tank Forum banner

Lily pipe on a 125g?

5K views 33 replies 8 participants last post by  houseofcards 
#1 ·
Good idea or bad? Seems like it wouldn't have enough flow, but I don't have any experience with them.

#15 ·
That's pretty fantastic. It looks like there is Inout and output at both ends. Are they using two filters for that, or did they fabricate some kind of T to split the outflow? Seems like it would be bad for output flow, but I guess if it's just based on pressure, it would work. Wouldn't want to wear out the filter prematurely by making the motor work too hard.

Edit: I was planning on using my Cerges reactor to dissolve the co2, so one filter would be preferable. If I need to add a power head, I'm not opposed. I'm having good flow on my 30b with just a spray bar, so I kinda wanted to upsize that. However, my 30 has surface scum problems, so I added a surface skimmer, which I hate. Don't want it on my 125. It's a pain in the butt. So lily pipe with a vortex was my solution.

#11 ·
Not saying you can't use a powerhead, but if setup correctly you really don't need it. Here's one of my own that was setup for 3 years. This is all the equipment, nothing removed for the pic. There is a spray bar top left above the disc that you can't see and I only used an Eheim 2215 and this is a 72G (4-ft tank). It is a myth IMO and experience that you need strong flow to move CO2 and dissolved ferts around a 2-4 ft and sometimes 6 ft setup.

Controlled Fury by naturalaquascapedesigns, on Flickr

#25 · (Edited)
I don't see how. I have a 2075 - which is pretty beefy on a tank this size at 330 gph or 19 turnovers per hour - with inline components on a 60p ( 17 gallon tank ) and a 17mm lily pipe and I sometimes wish there was MORE flow. I get some dead spots when the plants get thick. Lily pipes are simply not very effective at distributing water. They look nice, but a spraybar or adjustable jet nozzles are far superior - especially on a bigger tank.

#32 ·
I agree aswell, I see sometimes, a taking to the extreme of the high flow mentality on a planted tank. As if it will prevent algae or be some end all to other problems.

Lets go even bigger though, at the ADA gallery they use two filters on a 6 x 4 x 2 tank 360 gallons. They use x2 ES-2400 I believe. Less than x3 turnover per hour. These tanks also have Roseline Sharks. All the plants are thriving. This isn't about blindly following the ADA style because Amano said so, like some tend to point out. They have proved the concept on a large scale and in numerous tanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.