The Planted Tank Forum banner

Types of wood for your aquarium

10K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Rabbit 
#1 ·
Are there woods that you want to stay away from if selectiong your own pieces in the "wilderness" for your tanks? I have some pieces of malasian which are beautiful, but I was thinking of looking around for oak tree branches. Oaks have some really gnarled and twisted branches, and the bark looks amazing.I want something with substance, but with a little less bulk than the malasian pieces. I am Toying with theidea of making arches and protruding inclines (up from the geavel) and covering them with moss and TONS of narrowleaf java fern. I want a haven for my Discus to feel secure under, but with a 50 gal pent, I want to be able plant things in the back of the tank and still see them. I want it too look Full, but still create a great use of Open space. I hope this isnt too confusing.

#2 ·
The only thing I am aware of that you should avoid are freshcut wood and softwoods. If you can press your nail into the wood without much effort, then it is a softwood and will rot too quickly in the tank. Also you want cured wood, that has been dried and cleaned. Oak is definately a hardwood so as long as its dried and clean I think you should be ok.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.