The Planted Tank Forum banner

UV Sterilizer with Inline CO2 Reg?

7K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  WheeledGoat 
#1 ·
Hey guys, about to set up my tank and had a few questions. So I recently got a fluval 406 and heard great reviews on it. I know that they aren't always correct but I believe it has a flow rate of around 383 gph.. I have a UV sterilzer gamma 15w by current usa and plan on doing a inline diy co2 reactor. Anyone feel having both these inline will significantly compromise my flow? Which one should I go for then and what are my options if both wouldn't work? I've thought I could hook the co2 to a powerhead and still maintain my flow and get average bubble break up? Also anyone ever do inline with a fluval 406 and what were your results?? Thanks for the info and the links are below for help: :icon_smil

http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&h...=172&start=0&ndsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:8,s:0,i:101

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/foru...IY-External-CO2-Reactor-Really-worth-the-risk

#10 ·
I have a eheim and a uv with a inline co2 reactor. I noticed a little loss in flow but not much. But I did build my regulator with as little bends as possible. You can also run the UV as a bypass. basically the line going up and out to the tank, you put a valve on it. Then you put a Tee before and after the valve (going to and from the UV unit). That way when you want to use the UV you turn the valve off, and the water flow is forced into the UV.

#12 ·
I am about to start a Nuvo 16 Planted tank and it has a pump in chmber 2 that y's into two return lines. I am considering injecting CO2 on one return and running the UV sterilizer on the other one. What are your thoughts about that setup?

i was about to make a comment to the OP regarding this very thing.

while your flow will take a bit of a hit with the inline components, the 406 will handle it just fine.

you may, however, still have flow that's too high for the UV light to do too much good. the flow needs to be slow enough that the UV light has time to do its thing. if water's flowing too quickly through it, it won't work. I'd suggest building a PVC manifold for parallel flow (or you could do it using a y-site and tubing), where 50% of the water flows through the UV light and 50% flows through the co2 reactor. this will keep the flow slow enough for good UV light treatment, and will also reduce flow resistance (as compared to the setup being wholely in series).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.