The Planted Tank Forum banner

Pressurized Co2 Setup for beginner?

9K views 99 replies 21 participants last post by  Reginald2 
#1 ·
I'd like to get some recommendations on which pressurized Co2 equipment offers the best quality for the lowest price. Also, is it better to purchase a kit or build it yourself?

#50 ·
I'll toss out the corresponding prices so people have an idea on the cost of some of the suggested purchases.

SS-2MA4-4MH is $141.73

B-2MA4-MH is a call for availability part.

B-2MA4 is a $59.95 part

The handle kit - NY-2M-K6 is $21.02

None of these things are inexpensive. You could spend everyday searching auction sites for suitable items, but who has time to do that! ;) Save for the B-2MA4, your money goes a lot further with an Ideal valve. You have to look long and hard to find a valve as good as the Ideal within the same price point.

#59 ·
It's an air dryer that's good for three surgeries according to the following link: http://www.tcdentalonline.com/vts200d-18-p.asp

If you want, send me a PM showing what you are asking about. The part number that you posted may have a wrong number in it.

#62 ·
That thing looks bad and they want $99 for it.

There is no way that I would ever purchase that regulator or recommend it to anyone.

#67 ·
I thought the point to the forum was the dissemination of knowledge related to planted aquariums for everyone in a non-hostile environment. Constantly harping about being on 'topic' and locking any thread that goes more than a few posts is less than inviting and is the main reason why allot of knowledgeable people are going elsewhere.

As far as I can tell this thread has been pretty much on topic since we are trying to help someone with there first C02 reg.

EDIT: It might be tedious to you but to new members that find it hard to search for *exactly* what they need out of thousands of posts when they don't know what they need can be helpful and no one is forced to read every post.

- Brad

#68 ·
OP - kcrossley

You need to buy what you feel most comfortable with, something you understand, and something you feel confident operating.

Going with something because a few folks say you should do this or that, or some people say this is best, or some folks say this is better, would not be a good thing IMO.

Don't be impressed with the part numbers, the links or the slick websites.

Use the forums for ideas, but don't rely on them. Instead, seek out some outside sources and do some reading and research. Once you have an understanding of how everything works you'll be able to find the set up that is perfect for you. Wether you buy it or build it.

#70 ·
I believe the model number was brought up by fischman asking if it was a good regulator. Others responded after digging up some information. Another unrelated item happened to have the same model number and we kind of joked about it. If somebody asks about items and sources of such items and additional information, I think it reasonable for folks to offer such information.

#69 ·
I'm leaning towards the Milwaukee Regulator, only because it seems like it's made pretty well and it's affordable. As I gain more experience I'm sure my toys will get better and more expensive. Right now, I just made up my first batch of Red Sea CO2 Bio mix. Quite frankly, it couldn't have been any easier. :)

#71 ·
I have not read the full thread but I cut my teeth on a Milwaukee Regulator. I use one I built myself now. The Milwaukee got the job done. Its not the best for sure but for 80 bucks with a solenoid (what they use to sell for) they will get it done. Little tricky sometimes to get steady bubble rate but with a little research and some help from Milwaukee users you should have no problems.

#73 ·
Just to add my .02, I've found this site extremely helpful. I apologize for asking in this thread, however I thought it was appropriate considering the original topic. Thank you to all that looked into it for me. I'm going to keep my eyes open for something else, but I also have a well stocked garage with bench vises and the such, so I'm not too concerned about getting my hands dirty if needed.

Left C - Thanks again, and I shot ya another pm regarding another regulator that I'm hoping might work out better.

#74 ·
... Left C - Thanks again, and I shot ya another pm regarding another regulator that I'm hoping might work out better.
I got it and I've already mailed it. I put enough postage on it so that it would be traveling at the speed of light to get to you as quickly as possible.

#75 ·
I think it reasonable for folks to offer such information.
You are right, and I do, too. I did start to run off on a tangent though. Quite a few of these threads get pulled off on the very same tangent so I am just trying to keep the tangents a little under control...that is all.

Left C:

You may have an understanding about dual stage regulators, however you understanding of the First Amendments application to this and other internet forums is sorely, sorely lacking.

See, the First Amendment insures that Congress will pass no law prohibiting the establishment of a state religion, prohibits the Congress from making, impeding the free exercise of religion, preventing peaceful gatherings, infringing on the freedom of speech and infringing on the freedom of the press. TPT and most other internet forums are privately owed entities. You are under discretion of the people who own the forum as you are using it as a vehicle for discussion. The First Amendment does not apply here on a privately owned internet forum.

Now. The posting of the First Amendment photos.

How can the moderating staff and the site owner/ administrator interpret that as anything other than an attempt to create a problem here on the forum? Mentioning the First Amendment? We'd probably let that slide. Posting one photo, again...no major deal. You'd get a message from us about it. Posting two photos with an: EASIER to READ VERSION? Well, that is just trying to create trouble and disrupt the forum. My inclination is that this is a plan to get yourself banned to try and start a "Save Left C" campaign, and not to play into it. But I'll bite, Cecil.

As this isn't the first TPT has had an issue with you, you are going to receive a temporary ban - 7 days - until we decide what to do with your account and posting priviledges here.

My apologies to everyone. I know doing this in public is not the best form. However, just looking at the photos and the comments ask yourself....wasn't this what was being asked for anyway?

#76 ·
You guys really take yourselves to seriously. Geez, lighten up. This is a forum about PLANTED AQUARIUMS, not religion, politics or world hunger.

My suggestion would be to re open the thread on Dual Stage Regulators so, that discussion might stay separate from other discussions.

I am not sure why you don't allow the thread to flow where it may. In this instance, the OP said in the end, that he will probably go for a Milwaukee. End of discussion, no more information about dual stages necessary, the decision was made by him. Now if somebody else asks about the VTS200D, is it wrong for us to offer an opinion? He asked for one.

Now what Left C did was just plain silly. Your reaction was even more silly. Lighten up people and play nice.

#79 ·
Your points are fair, hbosman. The fact that you are clear headed helpd drive home the point. Your lack of theatrics is appreciated.

With all respect, hb, I will not consider my actions totally silly, however. I did not post the photos, nor did I attempt to incite. People do need to understand the difference between a public and a private venue. I'll admit that I might have read too much into it. It like having hand waved in your face.

I was doing my job here as a moderator. LC was PMed and he will be given the opportunity to explain to the staff. Our actions will reflect his.

We will consider re-opening the mentioned thread. Any re-opening will be with the understanding and that contingency that the rules that were put in place be followed.

Thanks for the comments. I sincerly appreciate it. I think you were well spoken and reflected the sentiment well.

We should move on.

#82 ·
You guys really take yourselves to seriously. Geez, lighten up. This is a forum about PLANTED AQUARIUMS, not religion, politics or world hunger.
There is history here. No need to discuss further. Cecil knew he would get a rise out of us doing what he did. Guess what, it worked.

Cecil is a moderator himself. He knows better.

My suggestion would be to re open the thread on Dual Stage Regulators so, that discussion might stay separate from other discussions.
I am going to preface this response with the following: I have no objections to the use or promotion of dual stage regulators or discussions involving them. I cannot speak for the rest of the staff, but I believe they all feel the same way too.

However, the dual stage thread you are refering too will remain locked for now. There were repeated violations of our user policy in that thread. It was becoming a virus and doing more harm than good. The need for this thread, although something that can be used for planted aquaria, is not intergral to the hobby's survival.

Besides, Tom Barr has gladly accepted the thread and allowed its posting on his site. http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/6470-Dual-Stage-Regulators/page47?p=47503

Everyone can ebay link over there and can dual stage and build regulators to your hearts content.

Even better, why not start the thread where Cecil works himself, over in the CO2 section on plantgeek where he moderates. Surprised its not there to begin with.

I am not sure why you don't allow the thread to flow where it may. In this instance, the OP said in the end, that he will probably go for a Milwaukee. End of discussion, no more information about dual stages necessary, the decision was made by him. Now if somebody else asks about the VTS200D, is it wrong for us to offer an opinion? He asked for one.
I agree, answering the question was legitimate.

Now what Left C did was just plain silly. Your reaction was even more silly. Lighten up people and play nice.
Cecil is a moderator himself. He knows better.

#85 ·
i really dont think if u guys r right about the ph controller. the good thing about a ph controller is it minimize ph swings which u guys know,at the same time it makes your co2 tank last longer cuz of the cut off level. The meter doesnt only work as a controller or a ph reader it also give u an idea of the co2 in ur fish tank. for example if u have more then 3 kh any ph under 6.4 could harm ur fish and if the if the kh is higher it could severely effect ur fish. From my experience it is a good thing to have it saves on co2 and it let u know wats going on in ur tank

#86 ·
There's nothing wrong with buying a pH Meter if you have the extra cash for something like that but it's a unnecessary part if your on a budget. It's not going to protect you from a EOTD like a dual stage reg and good needle vale will and under most conditions a drop checker is all you need for testing once the tank is cycled and balanced.

Also a solenoid on a timer will save you more C02 at night than a meter so it's just up to the individual person on whether he/she wants to buy something like that, yea it's a cool meter and does some nifty things but it's not necessary to a C02 kit.

- Brad

#88 ·
omg im so confused when it comes to this stuff and all the abbreviations is killing me more! okay.

what i got so far is i need a

regulator

timer

bubble counter

diffuser.

my only question is what regulator is your all time favorite thats the cheapest?

and what size tank do i need for a 30 gallon and how many BPM should be going?

#92 ·
I keep enough surface turbulence from my filter return to minimize surface scum and to allow O2 replenishment in the tank water. Of course you don't want to overdo it or you will off gas too much CO2. You can use an air stone or powerhead to create this turbulence as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.