The Planted Tank Forum banner

My 2nd pond build 3000G... in progress

12K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  radioman 
#1 ·
I had so much fun building and learning with my first pond . I started a 2nd pond in the same summer.

I hand dug this hole in the ground approx 2800G plus water fall, total water volume will be 3000G. 6 weeks of digging in the middle of summer. I wont' do that again. I think I will spring for back haul if I ever dig another pond. No more yard left anyway.

Liner is in

full of water

rough in of the water fall about 4' high but I need to lower it, testing water flow. Need to redesign in the spring.

How it looked in the fall with leaf netting.

See less See more
#30 ·
Thanks I had fun building both ponds both hand dug them both in 100% clay.

Unfortuantely I'm moving and the new owners didn't want a pond so 8 hours of solid digging I filled both ponds, sold fish and plants 2 weeks ago. What it looks like now.

My GF wants me to dig another pond at the new house. Looking forward to starting the new pond with all I have learned about pond building and filter design, water falls, over wintering Koi (all my fish overwintered fine under the ice). I will start another thread once I move.

Just gotta find space next to the pool. The new house has a small pondless water fall that I plan on digging out to make a pond for 1 or 2 Koir or shubkins.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.