The Planted Tank Forum banner

Wingsdlc container pond UPDATE: 6.4.09

20K views 62 replies 23 participants last post by  Gatekeeper 
#1 · (Edited)
Here is my container pond. It is the first one I have tried. Let me know what you think.

Before planting and filling.

The pots with holes drilled in the bottom to let the roots go into the pond.

The pots are first filled with this large gravel.

Then they are capped with schultz.

Here are the water plants. It is mostly Rotola with a few stems of ludwigia and star grass. All the plants were taken from my 55G tank during trim time this weekend.

Next came the bog plant, a Cala Lilly. From what I have read, they can be grown this way. I hope that is correct.

Here is the container filled. Along with a closer look a the aquatic plants.

See less See more
#53 ·
I actually just had the exact same idea as you. I'm really glad I found your post, I'm planning on buying one of those large ceramic home depot pots and sticking an oranda goldfish in when it hits spring time. I've been trying to think of plants I want in my pot and I was hoping for some input. I have a friend with a water hyacinth infested pond, so I'd like to grab some from her and let them grow on the surface. I was also considering finding some lily pads/lotus flowers to grow. Any other plants you might suggest? I didn't think I'd have much luck with submerged plants as the hyacinth would take up all the sunlight from the top. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as well

#55 ·
I'm a little concerned about that. I'm thinking he should be fine during the spring, but it does get pretty hot during the summer. I'm planning on growing water hyacinth and having it on the 2nd floor of my balcony that only gets direct light in the morning. During the hot temps of the summer it can get to 100, but with shade and being on the 2nd floor would it be ok?
theres always bullfrog tadpoles that i know would do well, but i've always like oranda goldfish

#56 ·
Container ponds just do not stay cool like a nice big, deep pond. I wouldn't do it. There are however some fish that are pretty temperature tolerant.Paradise fish are great, but they are jumpy. If you can solve that problem, it might be a better choice. Do your research, please. They don't play well with other fish..as a rule.
If you want an Oranda, do him a favor and buy a nice big indoor aquarium with tons of filtration.:proud:

#59 ·
The tub has been taken down. I am not sure if I will set it up again or not. The current tub was starting to get brittle due to exposure to the sun. Might try to find another type of tub that can take the sun without getting brittle.

#62 ·
I might do that. But I would like to have one that can last more than a couple of years. Maybe one of the heavy duty rubbermade type tubs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.