The Planted Tank Forum banner

25 Gallon Lotus Bowl

14K views 50 replies 9 participants last post by  Eldachleich 
#1 ·
I'll name this more cleverly later.
Heres the dealio yo.

I was at HomeGoods, scouting for a large glazed pot to put a dwarf grapefruit in (my stepdads fathers day present). When I saw this decently sized wide shallow glazed pot for $80. Seeing as how it was shiny with pretty colours and perfectly shaped for a small tub pond I immediately wanted it.
And seeing how a pot of similar size and colour would have been at least $150 anywhere else, I really wanted it.
After inspection I noticed a small chip in the rim and a hairline fracture near the top.
So naturally I asked for a discount and they gave me 50% off.
So I took it home and figured out what I wanted to do with it.

For a long while I've wanted to own a lotus. And I figured this was the perfect opportunity.

After some research I discovered that there is an extremely dwarf type of lotus that only reaches a max of 1.5 - 2 feet in height. Perfect for a smaller pot. It's called an Exquisite Teacup of the Bowl Lotus.
http://water-garden-blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/TeaCup1.png

I think I'm going to go with either a pink one like in the picture.
Or an all white one. Leaning towards white. Maybe a baby doll lotus.
I also found a marginal called Siberian Pink Cups that I really want to add in.

For now it sits empty on my patio.

I got in contact with my local nurseries. And they are having their buyer call me tomorrow. If he can't get me what I want I will have to wait till next spring to order one. Lotus season is over.
If that is the case I intend to plant it with a dwarf lily... Probably a helvola lily since I love them so much. I will keep that in its place till spring and I can replace with the lotus. And lots of floaters. Dwarf water lettuce is going to be used heavily here. I'm also thinking azolla moss.

My planned fauna is a king betta. Plakat and hopefully dragon scale.
Thats my plan.
I'll try and keep you updated on my progress.
As far as the pictures. Please don't judge my yard. A family member died and it laid untouched for years. I've spent the better part of the year completely reworking it. Finally its filled with quality soil and recently planted but its got some more work to go before its near done...
For instance.. I clearly need grass lol..
Let me know what you think!!

Oh! Forgot the soil plan. Still in debate on whether or not to pot the lotus. But from my research I think I like the look of them when you just fill the pot with soil and let it run wild. I hear these things love composted manure. So I'm laying down a 3 inch layer of composted horse manure (great stuff, I plant my tomatoes in pure composted horse manure and they adore it) and capping it 6 inches of pond soil. After that there is gonna be around 6 inches of water on top for the betta.
The marginals and all the other plants are just going straight in. I plan on tearing it apart and reworking the pot completely and replanting in spring every 3 years or so.
Knowing me my plan will change drastically once it gets down to doing it.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
If you guys can see all the actual flower beds are planted. I'm just missing grass and time for the plants to fill in.
I do have a whole field of peppers and tomatoes on the side yard. Also some bonsai, roses, and a new dragon fruit plant.
I should post a pic of it. It's actually quite impressive. It was the only section of my yard that got any care during those 5 years.
My neighbor was spraying chemicals on the side of his house today.
I saw a large clouds over and mist them all though. I hope they are ok....

#3 ·
Well... My local nursery said no. Actually I never received a call. Went in and asked. Not only did she not tell anyone, she didn't write my information down.
I asked the guy who runs the pond section and he said the smallest lotus he could get is of the bowl variety. Which reaches 2 - 3 feet tall. I want a teacup of the bowl variety, which reaches 1 - 2 feet tall. That extra potential foot makes alot of difference.

So... On next weeks paycheck I will be ordering a dwarf lily. I was considering going with something a little different but I think I might go with a classic Helvola.
It blooms so much more than any other variety and the flowers are such a delight. Plus it has such a small leaf size.

I'm going to see if its submerged leaves are smaller than my tropical lily since it is a dwarf variety. Plus its surface leaves always have a nice purple mottling to them so it might be interesting.

Also next week will come the soil in the bottom of the pot. And possibly I might be ordering a few marginals. Not sure... Those might come later.
Some floaters are in order. I'm gonna wait for an RAOK to nab some dwarf water lettuce.
I'm gonna have to find some mini marginal as well lol..
Maybe a mini cattail, or iris.
Thats about it.
Once the lily gets delivered I think... Well.. I'll get the lily in and get some floaters and marginals and I believe thats when I'll put the betta in. Let him claim his space and whatnot.

#4 ·
Well.. Things around it are being planted and filling in. Soon there will be some pot changes around it so that they match the glaze. Or are at least glazed.

Not much has happened... Its holding some extra water lettuce I plan on using at start up for a little while.
Psh... What else..
Haven't ordered the lily yet. We actually had to order clear pond sealant for the pot as there were chips in the glaze. Not too sure if the pond sealant will actually hold to the glaze. But as long as it stick to the chips I guess it doesnt matter.
After that gets here were gonna order the lily. Which should get here around the time its dry. So.. Here's to hoping.. I still want siberian pink cups but I feel I should wait for the shade of the lotus to cover it before I buy it.

And here is some slightly updated pics.
As you can see there is now a Venus Fly Trap in a bowl near it. I think it looks rather nice!

Attachments

#6 ·
Home Goods give you discounts if you ask? Wha? Lovely backyard area :D

Oh I shipped your package today, it leaked 3 times and I had to rebag it, ack. And I couldn't fit nearly as much plants and other things as I wanted in the smaller box :( Should have waited till I got more packing mats.

Suggestion for you: raise that bowl a little bit with cinderblocks underneath. You will need heavy floaters and lilies, looks like its getting a lot of direct sun! Also, you can get a cheap solar powered fountain pump for $10-15 on evilbay :D

Your backyard is so pretty! You should start a journal for it here ;)

#7 ·
Yup! They give discounts alot.
Just find a stupid flaw and point it out.
You can get $20 nano bowls for $10 if they have a small bubble.
And my family knows cause were cheap cheap cheap!!
We tried raising the bowl. It end up looking really weird no matter how much or how little we raised it.
Heavy floaters indeed!!! It's already been stuffed with as much water lettuce as possible. Eventually I would like the switch everything in it to a mini form though. Actually as soon a the pond sealant is here we have to drain it. Let it dry. Seal it. Let it dry.. lol.
Order the lily. Once the lily is in I think that it will grow quickly though.

I can? That might greatly increase my options for livestock. Hmmm... This gets sun pretty much morning till night. I wanted my potential lotus to get as much sun as possible.

Later when I get the lotus, this lily will probably be divided and sold (or if anyone here wants some) and transferred to the newly constructed pond.

Thank you! I spent alot of money and time last year building up the soil. Its just hard clay here. This year went in the flowers. Some are alot more successful than others. Whatever didnt work by winter is getting ripped out and replaced in spring with something else. Till eventually I find a great combo that works.
I sorta went nuts and stuck Shasta Daisies EVERYWHERE! Teehee...

It's a shame. No one near me really has any flowers except for a few old asian ladies who's skill I have no hope of matching. And the only time I get to see gardens that haven't been "landscaped"... which down here means I'm going to shove as many non-blooming ever-green grasses and shrubs in my yard that never need to be watered, don't look that great, and only need to be pruned once a year. So boring. http://www.blogcdn.com/www.luxist.com/media/2009/08/as583289_1.jpg Like that... Actual house near me. I'n the end the landscaping wouldnt be bad if someone had replaced a few of those shrubs with flowering shrubs.
Ok Rant over...
And the only time I get to see gardens that aren't "landscaped" is when I'm at Disneyland be if for pleasure or for work. And I hardly think Disneyland is a fair comparison. I wanna meet their gardener.

I discovered this year that the tall biennials that I love so much in cooler climates don't do well here. Well they look nice and grow well. But instead of reaching the 4 - 6 feet the normally do they reach 2 - 3 feet. I dunno.. Maybe I'll have to join that plantedspace and rant about it lol..

I always grew up in areas with lots of plants and flowers. Everyone always had a huge garden. Or a tiny garden packed to the brim. It's so freaky to me that people is SoCal really hate yard work and yard that require work. And trees! Constantly chopping down tree's cause they don't wanna rake. Even though they all have gardeners anyway. I shouldn't say all.
Alot...
Ok.. now I'm done.

I believe I see yours lol.. Right on top.
At least the description sounds right.
I never really commented on your balcony but it truly is lovely. pretty darn big too. You should stick orchids over EVERYTHING!
If I really like a journal I just watch from a distance like a creeper lol..

#10 · (Edited)
The ziplock bag double bagging experiment failed, so I just found 2 other bags and used rubberband + double bag like Rachael does, foolproof. I thought I was being clever by using something readily available.

That's a nice house but pretty bland, I'd at least do some climbing ficus vines--helps insulate the home and looks cool (I punned!).

Start teh garden journal, we can trade plants and seeds! Tho it's prob cost prohibitive to ship a plant, just seeds then. OMG I found this rainbow colored pepper plant, I just ordered seeds.

In warmer climates it grows to a bush, I can landscape with it AND eat it. I can't wait.

I'm going to try the point-out-defect @ Home Goods in the near future, but I suck at bargaining. :/

"What? $20? Really? I'll give you $35! What? It's Really $20? $45!"

Oh I'm also going to plant this when I get a yard, maybe I'll start one now in a pot:

#11 ·
Figures she would have it down pat.
Really bland. In most of the neighborhoods around here climbing vines up your house are against the neighborhood associations rules.
At least some flowering bushes though.

My house doesn't look nearly as nice btw..

Took a look at your journal and might be planting a jasmine vine lol. Recently ripped our shade vine out as it wasn't doing well since its a sun vine lol. It's in the sun now. And pouting aha.

I shall. I need to take semi decent pictures of my yard first!!
I will have alot of tubers of stuff this spring if you want them.
Mainly dahlia's. Not sure how well they will do with your heat and humidity, but here they do well enough. Were usually 75 - 95 in summer at around 70% - 90% humidity.
I mention them cause they have big flowers and a growing really well in pretty heavy shade for me.
So they might do well for you.
I have alot of small varieties and a few giant ones. Also some medium sized ones.
Plus lots of other goodies.
Oh and maybe some carnivorous plants!! I have a VFT that will need dividing. And I recently started a TON of seeds for various kinds of pitcher plants.
I had that pepper!! It's wonderful!

Want some dragon fruit?
I have one. I can send you a rooted cutting at the end of summer or early spring. Or whenever really. As long as its after summer.
I bought it a month ago. 6" tall...
One of the easier better tasting varieties. Halley's Comet. Big 1 - 2 pound red fleshed fruit with red pulp inside. Sweet taste yadda yadda.
The cool thing is its a heck of alot easier to pollinate than other varieties. If you don't have the right bats or bugs they won't produce fruit as they flower at night. Yadda Yadda. Normally you need to brush the pollen of a flower on one plant and transfer it to a completely different plants flower and vice versa. With this variety you can pollinate it with seperate flowers on the SAME vine!
I thought that was cool.
What can I tell you. Likes water and humus in its soil. But needs good drainage. Very fast grower and you and I will both be cutting it back alot to keep it in check lol.
It's grown 2 feet in the month I've had it.
Doesnt seem to care to much about sunlight. Its growing up a wall that receives mainly shade but some dappled light all day with no problems.
I hear you can also start them form seeds but it normally doesnt taste as good. Something about how all the big farms graft certain species onto the bases of other species to create big tasty fruit or something.
Unfortunately almost all my veggies are dead. That spray of my neighbors killed all my peppers and all but two of my tomatoes. Bonsai took a hit and are in the garage getting some TLC.
Now I'm talking about my yard lol..

LOL!!! Spend a day in a foreign market. You'll talk those homegoods employees in circles in no time!
Theres an open air asian market near me. And Mexico. I'm a pro lol..

No really its not that hard.
"This is $20.. But it has a bubble... I'm just not sure if I wanna spend $20 on something that might just break on me."
"This pot is really lovely, but theres a chip on the rim. I don't want to pay full price for somethings that broken though. Even if it is just a chip. Is there any way...?"
Thats all it takes at my homegoods anyhow.

#12 ·
Jasmine smells soooo good, it does better in full sun too, and flowers rather infrequently on my balcony. I recommend you also get a night blooming jasmine, it turns into a bush, and at night all you smell is jasmine for miles. I have a Grand Duke of Tuscany jasmine (one of the rarer Arabian varieties), it's a small plant in a little planter I've kept alive for 3 years now. I've been having trouble propagating it (did the saran wrap with dirt on live stem thing but forgetting to keep it humid). If I get extra stems I'll send you some. The flowers can get huuuge and it smells amazing.

Those pics of your yard are really good :D you don't need better pics, just start listing plants and improving and the handful of ppl that I got to use the boards will comment and make suggestions, lol :)

I had to Google dahlias, those are pretty. I like hibiscus, don't know if those will do well your zone. What USDA zone are you?

I'm surprised you have dragon fruit, haha most people still haven't heard of it. The dragon fruit I had were all just nearly sweetless kiwis. Didn't know it grew so fast.

I didn't know you were such an avid gardener. Want to hear more about the yard :/ Journal journal journal, pics pics pics. Okay I'll try to keep to pond-discussions from hereon, lol. Just one more garden-Q, do you keep any succulents?

Do you talk to the manager at Home Goods? I don't think employees can just discretionarily mark down stuff?

#13 ·
Its beautiful!!! I low your variety!! If you get cutting to root (rooting medium might help) please do send it to me. I really want to place it under my angel trumpet near my gardenia's.

Jasmine is one of my favorite scents and grand duke is apparently the flower they use to flavor my favorite oolong. Plus it just has some pretty flowers. We have a jasmine vine taking over the side of my house. You should smell my house and neighborhood when it sounds out thousands of clusters of jasmine flowers.

Thanks... I think I'm unhappy because it hasn't had a chance to fill in yet. It wouldnt. I only planted it a few months ago.
Dahlia's are a favorite of mine. My favorite one is my white one. Reaches about 4 feet tall and wide with tons of blooms the size of your head.
They don't smell though.

Yup! We have lots of hibiscus here. It's used as a roadside hedge alot. It's hot and humid enough most of the yer that most tropicals do pretty well. I personally don't own any. I'm much more inclined towards a cottage style garden for some reason. But my neighbor has rows of them and they grow up and peak over my wall. And my angel trumpet peaks over hers lol.

We have alot of asian influence in my area so Pitaya (dragon fruit) is constantly in the stores. Don't get me wrong. Even the sweetest dragon fruit has a hard time getting past mild flavor. But normal dragon fruit are pretty much tasteless.
I bought mine on a whim and researched it later. lol.. I'm just happy I ended up with one of the easiest most flavorful varieties.
The flowers are huge and fragrant as well.

I also forgot to mention. It's a vining climbing cactus. ?!?!?!?? That blew my mind. Weird looking plant. But I fell in love with dragon fruit after those few years spent living in Thailand. So I needed it!
And It wont flower or produce fruit until its beg enough to contain 10 total pounds of plant matter. Which is alot lol. I'm just gonna let it take over a whole will and hope for the best.

I live in zone 9a... Which is a little misleading. I've been in lots of other 9a zones and our weather is very different. I honestly think the zone system really needs to be reworked.
Normally the only thing that matches even slightly is the temp.

I'm a pretty avid gardener. Nothing too special. I've built up some pretty magnificent gardens at previous houses. It's always a challenge to work within a new zone.

Yes! I do... Not tons of them but we have a few. Hardy plants. and some of them are quite pretty.. Actually if you look behind the chairs you will see purple poppy like flowers on long stalks. Thats a succulent. Pretty much flowers.. all year? Not really... It gets flowers from around April - November. Still a long time. My window pot succulents are starting to bloom as well.

Quick! Say something pond related so we don't break the rules!

The pond sealer arrives soon!! I can't wait!! I really want to get this lily started soon. I want it to be in full swing and blooming by September.

Sometimes. I think.. I'm not too sure. They always ask someone higher up but I don't think its ever the manager. Actually... I'm not sure I've ever seen a manger for my homegoods.. 0.o

#15 ·
I spent the majority of my life shuffling from country to country.
I have a long list going lol...
Another trivia fact. I was born in Japan. And live there till I was 5.. What country did I end up at next? And how long did I stay?

I always thought it was a cactus. It looks like a cactus fruit. I didn't know it was climbing cactus... That.. still blows my mind... What?!?!?
Red innards are one of the sweetest and the most flavorful. Yellow dragon fruits are muuuuuuuuch sweeter, but alot less flavorful. I would almost say overly sweet.

They also are notoriously hard to grow. And produce very few tiny fruit.
They come mainly from Asia where they graft a yellow one on to a variety like Halley's Comet so its grows big, yellow, sweet, and flavorful.

I personally prefer the more mild taste of the red ones. The yellows ones are kind a like biting into corn syrup.

I plan on filling it after I seal the inside to prevent weeping. The weeping is only a problem because it will eventually break the pot. After its sealed and cured I'm gonna go buy the dirt mix and fill 'er up.
Let everything settle and get some marginals going.
Probably throw a few of the stem plants you sent me in and see what happens...
I'm also gonna order the lily a day or so after sealing the pot. That way it gets here by the time It cures.
I wanna get this thing going!!!!

#17 ·
There is indeed.
You can have..
Red with white insides
Red with red insides
Red with pink insides
Red with yellow (rare)
Pink with white
Pink with red
Pink with pink
Yellow with white
Yellow with yellow
White with white (rare)
White with pink (rare)
White with yellow (rare)

Teehee.. Thats why this is called a Lotus Bowl!!
I am going to put a lotus in it. A dwarf variety called babydoll.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/SwimmingJewel/Lotus/bowllotusP1010231.jpg
Or some other dwarf variety. I like classic lotus flower shapes. So that narrows it down alot. And it has to be dwarf. Even further now..
So basically I just have to pick... Which colour?
I likes white though.

Unfortunately I missed lotus season.
You can only order fresh tubers in early spring.
So until next spring I'm going to put a dwarf lily in the pot. At which point the lotus will replace it and the lily will be moved to the small pond.

Have you tried walter pagels lily?
He lives down here and invented a small whitish pinkish dwarf water lily. Its really well known for doing really well and flowering quite a bit in part shade. And I know it can stand pretty high temps and humidity.

You need heat and sun. And I've noticed that cold stratification is really helpful on some of them. Especially the hardy lilies.
Why not pick up a red tiger lotus bulb from petco?
Thats a tropical water lily that should do well.. Surviving well in part sun in my yard.
I joined that site btw...

#20 ·
Oh the grand duke, I tried rooting powder, did not work, tried like 20 times with different stem cuttings. Been trying the injure stem->wrap soil in bag around it -> keep moist method. Nothing so far.

I have Petco lilies in my mud bucket, not sure the difference between lotus and lilies.
Have you tried sticking it in a pot and ignoring it?
Do you need to take new growth cuttings?
Or old growth?
would the gravel or sand method work?

#19 ·
Lilies leaves never rise above the surface.
And lotus leave rise several feat above the surface.
Two types of lilies. Tropical and Hardy. Kinda what you expect. Tropical need warm and sun and humidity to thrive. Hardy need warm and sun too bloom and grow but can withstand freezing temps and go dormant in the winter.
Tropical lillies have more star shaped flowers that rise several inches to several feet off the water surface. Often time they are fragrant. About half are night bloomers. Comes in intense pinks purples and blues. Spade shapes leaves most of the time. Sometimes completely round. Normally has slightly ruffled edges.
Tiger lotus, red lotus, and red tiger lotus. And green and etc... They are all species of tropical lilies.
http://www.oceanwideimages.com/images/10666/large/water-lily-24T6270-02D.jpg

Hardy lilies will bloom in colder areas and survive much tougher winters.
They tend to have smaller cup shape flowers either on or right above the surface of the water. Comes in whites, yellows, creams, peaches, pinks, and sometimes oranges.
They are my personal favorite and almost all of the pygmy varieties are hardies.. They tend to have round leaves.
http://gardendrama.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/attraction.jpg

Lotus have two sections as well. Asian and American.
The Asian one is found form India to China. They love heat and sun but humidity is their enemy!
They need at least 6 hours of sun a day (hence my pot location). The leaves of these plants are large round dinner plates held on thick sturdy stems. They rise several feet off the water surface. They send out large 6" - 12" flowers that are highly fragrant. The flowers smell of anise usually and last around 3 days. They rise a foot or more above the top of the leaves. They have delicate tubers and large root systems so they need a large round pot with no corners.
They now have dwarf varieties called bowl lotus. Or extreme dwarf called exquisite teacup of the bowl lotus (what I'm getting).
Giant - 7'-'9'
Normal - 5' - 7'
Semi-Dwarf - 3' - 5'
Dwarf or Bowl - 2' - 4'
Teacup - 1' - 2'

Asian lotus is naturally a soft white blushed with pink tips. It often goes creamier in the center as it ages. http://www.ag.auburn.edu/hort/landscape/images/LOTUS_LIT_fig.1.jpg

American lotus it a soft cream colour. Almost a soft daisy. http://thewildclassroom.com/biodiversity/problemplants/sidepics/American-Lotus.jpg

Both have a UFO shaped stamen where the seeds will form. These range from yellow, to chartreuse, to lime green. If you leave it to dry to the plant it lasts for decades in flower arrangements. They are normally all ready by the end of the growing season. http://www.driedflowersrus.com/images/images_big/lotus_pods_stemmed.jpg
Divide these all in spring and voila! New plants..
Or you can cross your lotus and see what kind of plants the seeds produce.

I just went on a spiel... ahaha..

#25 ·
So..
This thing is planted!
The lily is ordered!
And next spring I believe a lotus is coming!
Super exciting.

I'll take a crappy pic and upload it.
It planted with basic marginals and floaters.
I'll refine my plant selection as time goes on.
For now I'm just stuffing it with plant mass.

#26 ·
Here are the pictures..
All the plants are pouty from planting them.

Flora

Marsilea Quadrifolia
Ludwigia (sp?)
Lemon Bacopa
Red Stemmed Parrots Feather
Water Lettuce
Azolla Moss
Rotala
Sensitive Fern
Greater Duckweed
Java Fern
Anubias
and an assortment of un-named stems..

No fauna yet.
Has 8 gallons of water on top...

Attachments

#28 ·
Ahaha.. It's only 2 plants! Well the ones you can see lol.. Theres tons of random stuff planted underneath the water lol..
And I have a lily on the way!
Stuff will be pulled and trimmed as it grows in.

Its a giant layer of Laterite mixed with... uh... a mixture of horse compost, MGOPS, and soils from various piles of different soils from around my yard.
I just mixed it till it felt right. Thats capped with a 2" layer of sand which is capped with a 1.5 inch layer of pond soil.

Only 8 gallons of water left.
The only fish in here are purely for mosquito control.
Even though it's 8 gallons its actually quite spacious. It surprised me that it was only 8 gallons. My gourami would be happy in there I think. But I don't feel comfortable putting him in there right now. Too cold.
It actually stays between 60 - 75 in the tub. I was thinking a betta.. Or my gourami in warmer weather. Or maybe a few whiteclouds.
Not sure yet.
Problem with whiteclouds is that they breed... I hate homing fish babies.
We will see. Nothing is going in till the lily is in and the plants have taken off...

The glass cube is another carnivorous plant. My american pitcher plant, sarracenia purpurea.
Set up alot like my VFT but geared more towards water retention.
They get a nice purple maroon colour and have nice sort squat pitchers for most of the year.
They get about 12" in length. But their shape is cute and rounded.
Great fly catchers. Seriously.
Mine catch like 9 flies per pitcher per day. It's getting to the point where the flies can just crawl out again because the pile of bodies is so high.
Mine is also still very small so..
When it gets bigger I can only imagine.

Attachments

#33 ·
That is beautiful! But bettas are warm water fish, needing temps 74 and above. You mentioned temps stay between 60-75, and long-term with those lower temps wouldn't be good for a betta. You'd be better off with white clouds, there are some pretty long-finned varieties.

#34 ·
Well the betta would we here only during summer. When the water is more than warm enough for a betta...
Were just having extremely unseasonably cold weather right now, so I'm holding off putting anything in.
In normal weather the water should be in the 80's from June to October. Sometimes as early as May and as late as November.

In fact it gets so hot and still during those summer months that I worry if whiteclouds will make it.

I think our cold weather is finally over. Today it was 97 out.

I think it was one of those years where we get a cold spring and early summer followed by an insanely hot late summer and fall..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.