The Planted Tank Forum banner

xenxes's Balcony Planter 24g - "Mud Bucket"

29K views 144 replies 31 participants last post by  pweifan 
#1 · (Edited)
Current Status (6/17):

Not really a pond, more of a puddle in a bucket. But it works ;) If you want to see the rest of my balcony, there's a thread here.

Tank Progression Pics

No filtration, no movement (just wind), no water changes (just topoffs from old tank water), feed liberally: 0/0/0 ammonia/trites/trates, TDS ~400 but I add a little aquarium salt:

Walstad / plants + worms ftw :)

Equipment:
- 24" Walmart Planter ($26)
- MGOPS, sand, river rocks, lava rocks (good porous biomedia)
- Lighting: sun; powerhead: wind; filtration: plants ;)

Flora:
- Frogbits, RRF, Dwarf Water Lettuce, Salvinia Minima
- Petco Lily
- Banana Plant
- Mixed Moss

- Water Cress
- Water Mint
- Variegated Water Celery
- Pennywort

- Trying Flowering Rush & Blue Pygmy Lily from Seeds

Fauna:
- 2 RCS (I think)
- Pond snails
- ~20 platies

Original Post
----
Been wanting to play with a bucket of muddy water for a long time (since living conditions won't permit me to do a real pond). So I finally picked up the largest plastic Walmart planter I could find (24" across round, $26). Decided not to go with the wine barrel, too heavy.

Calculated capacity is around 24g. Threw in some dirt, river rocks, lava rocks on the bottom (what I had lying around). Filled in a measured ~20 gallons of water. So far it isn't leaking ;)

Not sure what to plant, probably clippings from my tanks.

Pics in the morning, too dark right now, and water is brown/black.

See less See more
#59 · (Edited)
It gets as high as 90s, but it doesn't typically doesn't last too long. That's why I put the container in a wine barrel surrounded by dirt to help insulate it. I also have some floaters to help block the sun. Unfortunately I have to keep the raccoons out, so it isn't too attractive all the time.

Here's a look inside:

I've thrown a little of everything in there. Some tropical, some collected locally.

• Potamogeton nodosus
  • Polygonum hydropiperoides
  • Pontederia cordata
  • Ludwigia palustrus
  • Ludwigia repens x l. arcuata
  • Ludwigia sp 'Red'
  • Hydrocotyle sp. japan
  • Hygrophila polysperma var 'Sunset'
  • Pistia stratiotes

I'm looking forward to everything filling out. Our trip to FL is in early August. I plan on doing some collecting while I'm there, so I'm hoping to plant some more in here.

#60 ·
Wow your water is so clear! I used cheap soil that was mostly woodchips and the water is heavy with tannins. It'll fill in nicely, especially when you get a little emergent growth it'll grow horizontally and reach down.

A couple of hardy fish or some RCS will probably help with plant growth, fert and CO2.

Raccoon eat aquatic plants? Are you thinking of moving it inside/screen room when it gets colder?

#62 ·
xenxes, I capped the soil with gravel and that helped with the water clarity. The raccoons are after fish/shrimp. I haven't stocked it yet this year, but I wanted to make sure they didn't try looking anyway ;) I don't have a back porch, but I bring everything into the basement to over-winter.

diwu13, I think I fixed the broken images. Please let me know if you can see them or not :)

#64 ·
Images work now! Nice little set up though haha. Just wish the blue bucket was a less vibrant color. I like the idea with the insulation though! Also.. I see you zip tie that metal covering on? Was that custom made? That means you have to cut the zip ties each time you open it?

And yea.. stocking plans :D?

#65 ·
Stocking will be White Clouds and RCS. No thanks on the platties. I'm determined to get some egg-layers to breed, I've never been successful. I hear keeping the fish outside is a great way to do it. Wish me luck :)

The metal covering is actually a grill replacement (like a Weber or something) :) I have to zip tie it down and cut them everytime I get into it. It's a pain :( If I didn't have to protect it, I'd probably just put a plastic liner inside the barrel and not use the ugly blue container. Hopefully my next house won't have a raccoon problem. I'd be interested in building a real pond in that case.

#66 ·
Oh haha. I was gonna say that's a great fit haha. You could use something like locking ties so you don't have to always cut them ._.

You should start a journal for your little set up! With progression picks :F

#78 ·
LOL, ohmygosh I need air now, I so have a fear of heights. Poor kitty, I am going to worry about it falling off now! I wouldn't even be able to peek out the sliding glass door, I'd be so terrified! I just can't do cities, I don't even like visiting NYC and I'm only an hour and a half away. I need a view of nature, not mankind, but that little pot is awfully cute. It is nice that you have found a way to bring some nature to you. :)

#79 ·
Lol TY :) You get used to the height after a while, the cat knows not to go outside now.

There's a banana plant and a Petco lily from a while back that overgrew the fish tank. I'm not sure if both are still alive or if it's just the lily. Probably the fastest growers I keep having to trim them back biweekly, else water surface gets covered.

I tried to remove all the duckweed again, but sure I missed some and they'll be back in 2 weeks.

#83 ·
Lol that was the plant I sent you that you just got ID'd.
Tons of platy fries coming out:
Yup haha. That super buoyant plant!

I see a nemotode in the top right of that picture :D! Hwo do you catch the platy fry? Net? They are like ninja's man!

And the tupperware picture not working for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.