The Planted Tank Forum banner

Alternative Pond Liners

17K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  garciacarlos 
#1 ·
I have a few budget conscious friends who have used a material normally used in roofing houses in place of a standard liner. Is this a good idea? If not, what is a cheap alternative?

#3 ·
What's the name of this stuff, so I can ask a roofer friend for some? I'd like to use it for a bog garden...

#4 ·
I know a builder who has used rubber roofing as pond liner for years...he has made three additions to his pond and it's been running for no less than 7yrs. Now I don't know if there are different types of rubber roofing but I'm sure you can do that research...I maybe able to ask him as I will be in the area this weekend, I'll do what I can to ask. best of luck.

#5 ·
PRICE
Petsolutions, which has fairly competitive prices, offers EPDM liner at these rates:
[10' x 10' $69.99] [10' x 15' $114.99] [20' x 20' $279.99]
This does not include shipping which I would guess is very very high.

A LFS offers 10' x 15' at $172.50 or $1.15/sq ft

A roofing company offered it to me at 41 cents/sq ft. This is equivelent to $61.50 for the 10' x 15' size.

SAFETY
HOWEVER, the guy at the LFS said the roofing products contain chemicals added to prevent mildew on the roof. He said these chemicals would kill the fish. While I have established that the roofing material is 3x cheaper than the LFS variety I am still not certain as to its safety. Does anyone else have any firsthand experience with this? Would doing a few water changes prior to adding fish and plants help?

#6 ·
Hold The Presses

I just got a quote from pondliner.com. For the 10' x 15' Firestone PondGard EPDM which is 100% guaranteed safe they only want $80 including shipping from OK to MO. Their price/sq ft is less than the roofing material and shipping is very reasonable. I think we have a winner!!! While paying 3x as much for something makes me look for alternatives I have no problem paying an extra $20 for piece of mind in this case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.