The Planted Tank Forum banner

4,000 gallon KOI pond

19K views 67 replies 33 participants last post by  rbarn 
#1 ·
Making progress on my new Koi pond going in with my pool project. It's getting triple water pumps, dual air pumps, 160W UV light and 2 separate bio/settling tanks with plumbing for a 3rd bio tank later as fish load increases.

It's about 20' long X 6' wide and 8' deep.

The pool .......... gonna be sweet.

See less See more
#7 ·
Some kind of wetland looking planting behind it. No plants in it. They are not good for the fisheys. Lots of landscape lighting in and around the whole set-up. Should look very cool when grown in with 2-3' monsters cruising around.

#8 ·
Very nice. This is what a koi pond should look like. Some people get koi ponds and water gardens confused. I have a water garden that houses koi and this is the right way to do a dedicated koi pond. Make sure you post pictures when it gets done. What kind of koi are you thinking of putting in there?

#10 ·
I was lucky enough to get hooked up with Ron Goforth here in Houston, so him and his buddy Bill Otto that runs a pond construction company are helping get the pond and filtration system set-up correctly from the get-go. I will rely on Ron to provide me with some first class fish to put in it. Dainichi's ? I'm a Koi noob, so all the names he was throwing at me went in one ear and out the other.

Ron is one of if not the premier Koi importer for the U.S. - 24,000 gallon pool/pond he has in his backyard packed full of 3' monsters is awesome.

#15 ·
This is true. But Koi should live a LOT longer than 10-15 years- more like 75-100! I am one who does mix watergardening and koi although I agree that if you want to keep koi in a professional manner, plants don't work. Not so sure about disease. Some of the most gorgeous koi are raised in mud ponds.

I've had most of my koi for about 10 years now and they have never been sick except my one butterfly gets a touch of red at the tips of his pectorals at the end of the summer when it's time to do a big water change. But my pond is overfiltered (is there such a thing?) and understocked, and most of the plants are separated from the fish and are actually an important step in my low tech filtration system (Vortex, mechanical, veggie filter). I find the koi are harder on the plants they can reach (waterlilies and lotus), than the other way around.

Dainichi koi? Wow! Yes, they definitely deserve a pond of their own. Most of mine are imported from Japan, but I could not tell you from which farm :redface: My favorites are my two Hi Utsuri and a Shusui. I would love to own an Asagi, but I don't want to put any more fish into the pond.

#21 ·
Ready for concrete deck.

The pile of rocks across from the waterfall will be embedded into the concrete deck and has a couple of large gaps in the middle to fill with soil and some flowering plants. Just have to be good about watering them. Gas fire pit will go where you see the gas line sticking up near the hot tub. Electrical is all done as well. Had to put in an entire new breaker panel for the house to have enough space. The pool equipment got its own 60amp breaker and the pond equipment got its 50 amp breaker both with new direct feeds run out to their own little sub-panel break boxes outside.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.