The Planted Tank Forum banner

Pond project - Jungle vines

19K views 84 replies 12 participants last post by  newday3000 
#1 · (Edited)
I had 2 ponds at my old house.

See threads 600G and my 3000G I filled both ponds in before I moved and sold everything.

I wanted to start a new pond project at my new house but space is limited due to pool and landscaped backyard. The new house had a rock waterless waterfall with shallow liner. I plan trying to use this as part of the project. it's a 105 G pre-formed liner

Here is what the area looks like at the back of the yard. Pond will be in the back corner.

This is the 210G preform I will sink into a hole in the ground. I will likely have it raised a bit and frame it with stone.

To the right is the v shaped slate stacked water fall that I will connect and recycle water between the pond and the water fall. I plan on feeding the back of the water fall. This whole area is covered in vines that grow everywhere and flower.

This is the current water fall that dumps into a rock area with liner underneath. Very shallow and can old about 6 inches of water if needed.

I will put fish (shabukins), water lily maybe 2, Water iris and rushes into the main pond.

Stay tuned for updates.

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks, I'm picking up a lily today. I have new growth on the Taro already above the water. fish are doing fine. I want to get more plants in there to act as a filter. Not sure I will put filter on this pond. I have a pump circulating water now and creating a ripple.

I will post picks as it matures.

#7 ·
mostly frogs. saves them from dying in the pool skimmer, kids save frogs everyday from the skimmer and put them in the pond has at least 20 frogs living there now. Some small gold fish are also living in there.

I don't have a filter setup yet. I would like a really simple solution. i have done big pond DIY filters before and want something small and simple for this pond.

I re-potted all the plants in felts planters and added fertilizer and rocks. I added a water lily as well. All plants are growing and water hycinth has quadrupled in size already.

some pics

Frog friends

#10 ·
I am looking at this solution, since i have a 400GPH pump in the pond now without any tubing attached yet.

http://www.pondsonlinecanada.com/sf050-6.jpg

I want really simple and some water movement. I hope this will do the trick.

#11 ·
The link led me to somewhere else. I have a pump in mine that I made a diy filter out of. I bought a package of filter floss from Petsmart and used the whole big piece that comes in the package, wrapped it around the pump, cutting a slit in the floss for the outflow tube, tucked the whole thing in a pond plant basket and set another plant basket on top of it (drilled a hole in the bottom to thread the outflow tube through), filled the top basket with lava rocks and set my old fountain phenial (spelling?) on top at the water surface.

#14 ·
decided to dig out the area for next year and build a real pond. I measured the space and I think I can put in a 500 - 600 G pond.

Pic if the space before I start digging. I will remove the preformed pond for a liner pond.

#21 ·
#22 ·
Dug out the final shape and depth is no 44" at the deepest location. I think the shape is now down. The rim will have large rocks that the liner will wrap under to head the liner around the edge.

I think this is it for the year. I will start buying pressurized filter and pump over the winter to start the pond up in the spring.

#23 ·
Well, crazy warm here in Canada, so I managed to finish the digging today, ready for liner and installing my tetra pump and pressurized filter soon. Pond store does,'t open until April 1st :( so need to but pond liner protector and liner, I have pond plants in cold storage waiting for spring. Hand dug my 3rd pond in 3 years now. Guess I like digging ponds.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

#26 ·
Should be ready to put liner in next couple weeks. Took some pics from the iPad of the pond and the seating area to watch the pond from. Measured liner at 25 feet by 18 feet.

Approx volume 750 gallons

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.