The Planted Tank Forum banner

CL's 100 Gallon Container Pond

30K views 62 replies 24 participants last post by  AGUILAR3 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm finally setting up a container pond for the spring/ summer. I'll be picking up a 100 water trough tomorrow to use. I'm going to have some dwarf lilies/ lotus and a few other floaters such as salvinia oblongata (all of which are coming in the mail this week), and maybe a few stems and an emergent watersprite for good measure. I'll probably just have a bunch of zebra danios in there to eat the mosquito larvae. The container will be in a partially shaded area, so I won't really need to worry about the water getting too low too fast.

I have a couple of questions though. I am not going to filter this pond, mainly because It'll have loads of plants, and few fish. Any recommendations about water movement? Could I just use an air pump and air stone (air pump protected from the elements of course)?

I'm pretty pumped :icon_mrgr
EDIT: moved the pond into the sun, the area was too shaded.
Here are pics (the tub is half buried in the ground. The pump is making that much surface movement, and it is at the bottom of the tub (about 27 inches down!), and the flow is divided between the two heads, so it's not as much of a stream. I'm waiting for the plants in the back to grow up and over the back edge of the tub, it looks a bit ugly right now :icon_neut:
Sorry for the sideways pictures ;)

The plant that will drape over the back, and grow in the gaps of the rock around the tub

Currently the ~25 zebra danios (some long finned, some long finned leopard danios) are doing great. I plan to have about 50 total when I'm done adding them to this pond. I also might add a couple of BN plecos when the algae starts growing well (as it will)
Currently I'm waiting on the plants in the pot to grow up to the surface. I also have a wad of flame moss in there somewhere in case the danios breed, and the fry can hide in it. Also, I plan on adding a bunch of cherry shrimp, and the baby shrimp can hide in the moss as well, and others will supplement the danios diet of mosquito larva.
I hope that's enough rambling typing for now ;)

See less See more
#60 ·
How cold does it get for you during the winter? You said your shrimp have overwintered twice? Do you throw in a heater or something for them

#61 ·
I never change the water, I just do too offs if the water level is getting kinda low.

It actually gets pretty cold here, I think due to the fact that the container is partially buried, and because it's right next to the house it doesn't freeze completely through.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.