The Planted Tank Forum banner

Small apartment balcony pond possible?

78K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  menoseloso 
#1 ·
Wall of text incoming! Read at your own risk!

Growing up my mom had several ponds in our backyard. I think the reason I love planted tanks so much is because I no longer have a large yard like what I used to work on with her.

My and my husband have maxed out tanks in the space we have. Except the balcony! I have a few planters out there with our swing. Is there anything small I can put out on the balcony? I've seen in magazines how some people have those large metal tub looking things.

How much light would one need? We have a tree blocking our balcony, but we get partial sun. Enough to grow gardenia, amaryllis, hyacinth. So not too much light, but some. Could we have one in that much shade? I live in south Texas, and it can get 100 degrees in the shade lol. But I would like a lily or two out there if I can find one to grow in shade.

We love fancy goldfish, we have one of our 60 gallons for just our 3 lol. If its large enough, I'd like a fantail out there. But I'd want at least 20 gallons for each (if we were to get more than one). I saw someone else's post about fancy guppies. I can probably do that since I have some guppies that are breeding (not like they ever stop) some nice cobra colors. Could they stand our heat here? Anyone have a link to an online store where I can look at small ponds for what we'd like? Just for an idea, I'd like to try and save money to buy our things locally. Can we have one without a filter? We have no outlet out there :( Maaaaybe we can run one under our bedroom door. Stagnant water here is begging for mosquito larvae. We'd need a fish to eat those up.

That's all I can think of for now. Which I think I've rambled a ton about. Thanks to anyone who got this far and is able to answer or give feedback!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=29.515004,-98.564831

See less See more
#6 ·

This is the space I have to work with. It's not much at all. As you can see, pretty bare. I can put it in the space right across from the swing. I think? It would be a low tech nano pond? If that's possible lol. What size could fit there? If any :-/ Can I do this with that much shade? Right now it's overcast, but the edge of the balcony gets sunlight.

Edit: I can remove the spathiphyllum if I need to. That can always go inside the apartment. That can give some more room in the corner.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=29.514972,-98.564938

#7 ·
I made, and inspired my friend to make, and 30 gallon tub pond out of a rubbermade container. Surround it with rocks and soil and plant it and its really nice.
Hers and mine are home to goldfish.
She has one fancy, its it permanent home, and I have two that are gonna be transferred out later.
Try looking into dwarf lillies...
Helvola would be great for a tiny container...
I dont know of a lilly that will grow in so little light though..
Perhaps rig up an outside fixture?

#8 ·
I had thought of putting something in the outside of a container. Kind of like how they have the DIY rock looking aquarium backgrounds. That got me thinking of some kind of river rock (I can get lots of that for free here... from the rivers lol) and attaching it to the sides of the container. Maybe filling it in with some kind of grout? Even cement I think?

Wonder if I could find a triangle shaped one for the corner. Instead of lilies, if I can't find one for shade... Could I riparium rig something there? Or even above the water, a high humidity plant. If anything, it's humid here and that would make it moreso. Orchids? Maybe purple bamboo in the water?

BTW, thank you everyone for the comments. It makes me think something like this could work! If anyone has any ideas whatsoever on plants or construction, I am all ears.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=29.515169,-98.564682

#12 ·
For situation like that i would go for glass outdoor pond, something like this

With the glass you can watch fishes while swinging
For something like this, keep an eye on craigslist for a fish tank of the size that would work for your space and create a faux surround out of the fake foam cement rocks to hide the hard corners. If you can put electric to it, you can put the tank in a larger shallow pan (6-8 inches) , pumping the water from the pan and discharging it into the tank and let it overflow, waterfall style, back into the pan. (think pot inside a casserole dish). The tank, if bedded in sand, can be canted a bit to direct flow point of water. The caution here is to limit tank height and amount of tilt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.