The Planted Tank Forum banner

The Trio of Evolve 8s. *Pictures*

5K views 38 replies 12 participants last post by  Barbgirl 
#1 · (Edited)
I got the okay from my husband to use some of the tax money to set up a bada$$ nano. Buttt I can't decide between the Fluval Spec or Spec III or Spec V or some of the Aqueon Evolves. And petco is running a sale so I need to decide by this Thursday which one to get!

His only request is that it is neat and relatively self contained. And that it houses some "cool looking shrimp not just the plain ole red ones" Apparently he's bored with my PFRs haha

I would like to keep medium light plants and maybe at some point to make this high tech. I have not been able to find a definitive answer as to what the stock lights for any of the above tanks will be able to grow. I would like to keep this generally cost friendly and not have to invest money in other equipment, I understand that a lighting upgrade may have to happen though.

If I keep it budget friendly enough I might be able to pull off getting 2 tanks, as I have had to shut down my 10 gallon earlier this month and will have to shut down my 20H as soon as I get the nano. :icon_cry:

So I need some serious help with what to buy!!!

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#27 ·
Update time:
Added some cholla
NL moss
More flame moss
Xmas moss
Riccia

And what is left of my PFRs. Tank was cycled using media and substrate from a cycled tank

Also picked up the second 8 gallon but am going to be patient, which is killing me, I am going to wait until I find the right driftwood for it. I am looking for twig/branchy so that it can kind of "erupt" out of one of the corners.

Not all the plants in the shrimp tank are staying.

View attachment 98770 View attachment 98778

Not sure what type of crypt this is

View attachment 98786

#29 ·
No, those are some crypt I got a while ago when I was just starting out. I think they are wendtii brown or something.

It's actually a sandwich of 2inx2in ss mesh with Riccia in between in, I am seeing if it will grow out of the mesh. It would just make it that much easier to trim haha

#30 ·
I have one more piece of "naked" cholla and I am kind of tempted to attach some fissidens to it. Give my shrimp some more stuff to pick through.

That moss is not growing fast enough! haha

#31 ·
Ohhh I was going say haha.

Make sense. It should grow thru but might take a while.
You should of use that plastic netting you can get from those bath poof.

-Sent from my Samsung Note, a "Phablet"

#32 ·
So just tested pH and gH in the shrimp tank.

pH was 7.4
gH was 4-5

I am thinking of getting tangerine tigers to mix in with the PFRs just as a contrast of color. And it is looking like my parameters are agreeing with me :)

#37 ·
Pretty pumped. Got my dry ferts today. Thanks MsNemo!!!

Ordered some wood from Tom Barr. Yeah buddy!

The 20H will officially be torn down on Sunday!

Also got the sump area exactly how I want it. Will post pics tomorrow.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

#38 ·
So I am having a terrible time trying to decide what carpet I want!!!!

Can't choose between glosso or marsilea minuta. I am hopefully getting a box full of nano drift wood from Tom Barr tomorrow. Received my Finnex light today and it's awesome.

I think I will be starting a new thread for each of the tank as things are not anything like I had initially planned and this thread makes my head hurt hahaha I need linear clean thought processes hahaha.

As of right now there is:

Evolve 8 #1 - Paradise fish and bunch of random plants. Had two of the stock lights on it, also injecting DIY yeast CO2

Evolve 4 - PFRs, tons o moss, a crypt and then some more moss and I think a type of rotala maybe. Stock light, no CO2

Evolve 8 #2 - Honey Gourami, 2 rummy nose, 2 cory hasborous (sp?) [adding more next week], 1 amano shrimp and some more random plants. New 10" finnex clip on FugeRay Red or something like that. and DIY yeast CO2

Both the evolves are getting a makeover once I get my hardscape nailed down and what I want to do for carpets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.