Mesanthemum sp. 'Africa'
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 08-21-2012, 03:22 AM   #1
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)

Mesanthemum sp. 'Africa'

Has anybody kept this plant or know of any info. on it. From what I have been able to find it seems that Eriocaulon sp. 'Africa' is a synonym of Mesanthemum sp. 'Africa'. Any info. would be appreciated.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
ua hua is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2012, 08:45 AM   #2
manini
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (61/100%)

They are very easy to grow. I have them growing in both my pH 6.5 RO tank and 7.8 tap water tank. Tallest that i got them to grow is just under 24 inches. Very thin and lanky plant that does not like to be trimmed. If you are looking to have something that is fuller and trimable, B. 'Kimberly' would be my pick. You can trim them a few inches from the base and it will grow back even thicker. Plus they do not run like vals! Hope this helps.
manini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:06 PM   #3
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks for the info Manini. I have a Blyxa 'Kimberley' coming but was offered by member of another forum this plant as an alternative. It is a cool looking plant that reminds me of Cyperus helferi. I might get some of these also and see which ones I like better.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
Old 09-11-2012, 01:12 AM   #4
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

I received a few of these plants today and I'm curious to see how they do. I like that they don't put out any runners like vals but have a very similar look. I also have a Bylxa aubertii 'Kimberely on the other side of the tank and whichever one I decide I like best will be the ones I end up using.

Eriocaulon sp. 'Africa' aka Mesanthemum sp. 'Africa'
Old 09-11-2012, 06:23 AM   #5
Tinanti
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Roots are not indicative of Eriocaulon, and Mesanthemum is more likely correct. Got a good hunch on the species, but probably better to hold on to that until I can prove it.

Mine didn't mind trimming, but got to be a bit much for a 40 breeder. They can get quite wide at the bottom.
Tinanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:38 PM   #6
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinanti View Post
Roots are not indicative of Eriocaulon, and Mesanthemum is more likely correct. Got a good hunch on the species, but probably better to hold on to that until I can prove it.

Mine didn't mind trimming, but got to be a bit much for a 40 breeder. They can get quite wide at the bottom.
Thanks for the info Tinanti. The person I got these from said he originally got them from you. They are in a 90 gal so I don't think I will need to worry about them getting too big. I really like the look of them, they remind me of Cyperus helferi but wider leaves.