The Planted Tank Forum banner

Does anyone have problems with angel aggressiveness?

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Newticus 
#1 ·
Once two angels formed a pair they became very aggressive. I had to remove the one smaller male angel from the tank since the other male was chasing it. The problem is that they try to spawn every month and the tank turns to be a nightmare to the other fishes.
I have just upgraded the tank to a 50-gallon tank but the pair of angel wants the entire tank only for themselves. I’m starting to get mad with them.:mad:

Does anyone have similar problems?

#2 ·
Sounds typical for a mated pair. But I'm a bit surprised that they're taking over an entire 50g. How heavily planted is it? Perhaps you could try arranging some taller plants towards the centre of the tank to sort of divide it into sections. I don't know for a fact that this will work, but maybe they'll claim one side of the "barrier" and leave the other side alone...?

#3 ·
The tank is heavy planted but it does not have any tall plant dividing it. But the other fishes have lot of places to hide. I only find it sad that the other fishes cannot “enjoy” the swimming space.

The first time they spawned they used a sword. In fact they used 4 different leaves since they frequently moved the eggs to a new leaf. They used java fern leaves also. http://www.fotolog.net/msuarez/?photo_id=8193231
I think that the constant moving of the eggs stressed the female so badly that one day the pair started to fight.
http://www.fotolog.net/msuarez/?photo_id=8224632 I had to remove the female from the tank since she was attacking the male. They kind of divorced. I found it so human…
Once the eggs hatched I removed them from the tank. Yesterday I reintroduced the female back to the tank and today they are together and nibbling on the java fern and chasing the other fish. It is starting all over again…

#4 ·
Moving the eggs around like that is completely normal -- I don't know why your female started attacking the male. :icon_conf

And you don't need to remove the young from the tank once they hatch -- one of my favourite things about having a breeding pair of angels was watching the parents care for the young.

One of the reasons I suggested adding a divider was so the angels would have their territory and all the other fish would have some open areas to swim in again. Like I said, I don't know if a plant divider would do the job -- you may want to add a plexiglass divider or move the angels to another tank.

#6 ·
Amanda:
The tank is a community tank with 6 cardinals, 1 platy, 1 yellow dwarf gourami and 2 SAE. It would be hard for just one parent to protect the fries. I put the leaf with eggs inside a breeder. Even so the male did not stop protecting them.
http://www.fotolog.net/msuarez/?photo_id=8241029
And I did not remove the fries just after they hatched. I kept them in the breeder inside the tank for 3 days.

glass-gardens.com:
Fortunately, I have never had problems with cardinals disappearing.

#8 ·
My breedign angels are pretty agressive, they will take turns being the dominate one and the other is forced to stay hidden in the plants. I finally had luck with one of their spawns and got 3 fry past the 1 week stage. Only 2 tetras and some cories in the tank with them and for the most part they only pick on each other.

#9 ·
Yup,
Mine kill just about everything in the tank. They've done away with about 4 other sngels i tried adding. I'm just leaving htem in there now. THey are even starting to chase the ottos frantically. Amazingly enough, the only thing not bothered by them are the two amanos. Well, I guess until the angels find them!
FB

#10 ·
I know angels can be agressive, but we have a large community tank at the petstore i work at. It's well planted and it has two breeding angels, but it well stocked with lots of other small fish. Neons, bolivian rams, corys, congo tetra, clown loaches, hi fin serpea, black tetra, etc. They laid their eggs on the submersible fluval filter and didn't stray far from it. There weren't any other fish in their imediate area, but their teritory wasn't very big. Strange eh?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.