The Planted Tank Forum banner

Colorado Local Fish Stores

42K views 421 replies 58 participants last post by  Kilojoules 
#1 · (Edited)
All cities and stores are organized by alphabetical order. Stock/items are not in ABC order, and only to give you an idea of what kind of stock they may or may not have currently. Please call them before your trip to verify.
==================================================
AURORA
  • Denver Tropical Fish Warehouse
    3401 S Chambers Rd
    Aurora, Colorado 80014
    303-766-9220
    • Celestial Pearl Danios
    • Dwarf Puffers
    • Discus
    • Various ram species
    • Dwarf Neon Rainbow
    • Congo Tetras
    • Dwarf hair Grass
    • Dwarf Baby's Tears
    • Glosso
    • Dwarf Sag.
    • Red Tiger Lotus bulbs
    • Horned Nerite Snails
    • Zebra Nerite Snails
    • Tracked Nerite Snails
    • Olive nerite Snails
    • Assasin snails
    • Paradise fish
    • Gold Ram
    • Celebes Rainbow
    • Badis Badis
    • Dwarf Puffers

BOULDER

• Aqua Imports
    2690 28th Street
    Boulder, 80301
    303-444-6971
    • Crystal Red/Black Shrimp
    • Zebra Shrimp
    • Celestial Pearl Danios
    • Chili Rasboras
    • German Blue Rams
    • Emerald Rasboras
    • Axelrodi
    • Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish
    • Badis Badis
    • Paradox Stickleback
    • Discus
    • Threadfin Rainbows
    • They have several brackish tanks as well.
    • Special note: They can get just about anything you are looking for. Just ask if you do not see it in a tank.

• Exotic Aquatics, Inc.
    3216 Arapahoe Ave.
    Boulder, CO 80303
    (303) 442-5363
    • Hillstream Loach (spotted)
    • Several types of puffers

DENVER

• Aquatic Dog
    7429 E. Iliff Avenue
    Denver, CO 80231
    303-369-8812
    • Blue Dot Mantano (Cardinal) Shrimp
    • Bumble Bee Nerite Snails
    • Assassin Snails

FORT COLLINS

• D&G Pets
    925 E. Harmony Road
    Fort Collins, CO 80525
    (970) 225-0767
    • Black Fighter Betta $21.49
    • White Pearl Fighter Betta $27.99
    • Yamamoto Shrimp (Amano) $5.25
    • Assassin Snails $6.19
    • Flounder $4.39
    • Millennium Rainbow $34.09
    • Dwarf Neon Rainbow $6.29
    • Threadfin Rainbow $4.59
    • Blue Rainbow $25.29
    • Red Iranian Rainbow $21.59

• Great White Aquatics
    4112 S College Avenue
    Fort Collins, CO 80525
    (970) 217-8011
    • Galaxy Rasboras (Celestial Pearl Danios) $7.50

==================================================
Submit a local fish store----

Name:
Street Address:
City, State, Zip:
Telephone:

Any livestock/items that caught your eyes or is not typically found in a Petsmart/Petco/Walmart (include non-sale prices optional):

See less See more
#2 ·
Great start Eden, I was in the office all day and could not get this started, so here is my submission's, I will list what I saw the other day after visiting most of the north denver / boulder stores.

The one thing we should stress, this is NOT a review topic. As us Coloradans know
our LFS are very spread apart. This post is to help reduce wasted trips. I typically go to the boulder stores at least once per month, sometimes more lol.

Aqua Imports
2690 28th Street
Boulder, 80301
303-444-6971

Aquatic Residence
Celestial Pearl Danios
Chili Rasboras
German Blue Rams
"Emerald Rasboras"
Axelrodi
Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish
Badis Badis
Paradox Stickleback
Discus
Threadfin Rainbows
They have several brackish tanks as well.
Special note: They can get just about anything you are looking for. Just ask if you do not see it in a tank.

Denver Tropical Fish Warehouse
3401 S Chambers Rd
Aurora, Colorado 80014
303-766-9220

Aquatic Residence
Celestial Pearl Danio's
Dwarf Puffers
Discus
Various ram species
Dwarf Neon Rainbows
Congo Tetras

#7 ·
Yes, so the whole point is every time you visit a store and see anything interesting you post here your discoveries and the thread will be updated. It will give us an idea of what store carries what. Then if you have a phone unlike me, you can call them about it before you head out.

#10 ·
I would recommend that the OP (Eden) make a note that the stock lists are something that shows what the store has had in the past with any prices being an example but most likely subject to change. People should call before driving off to a distant store if they are looking for something in particular.

Special note: There is still such a thing as payphones and prepaid phone cards.

#12 ·
Yea, we want to get a list of the less common species that they may have in stock whenever someone drops in for a look.

I am specifically looking for threadfins. I lost a couple over the past few months and need to get their numbers up.

#16 ·
I just got back from Denver Tropical Fish Warehouse. They had some good stuff in stock today. And according to the owner, they have the shipment due in anytime.

Plants
Dwarf hair Grass
Dwarf Baby's Tears
Glosso
Dwarf Sag.
Red Tiger Lotus bulbs

Aquatic friends
Horned Nerite Snails (getting more with the shipment soon)
Zebra Nerite Snails
Tracked Nerite Snails
Olive nerite Snails
Assasin snails (coming in with the next shipment)
Beautiful Paradise fish, they had red and blue
Gold Ram (gorgeous fish!!!)
Celebes Rainbow
Badis Badis
Dwarf Puffer's

#19 ·
You know since ur in Boulder, go to Aqua Imports. I saw a sign that said Manzinita Driftwood with the price per pound, but i didn't actually see any Manzinita on both my visits.... just grapewood and mopani.

o_O Either they out or they mislabelled...

#26 ·
I wound up finding that 'perfect' piece at Fish Den. They have a pretty big pile of mopani/malasian style driftwood - mostly medium and some REALLY big pieces. Nice stuff!

Also, they seem to be upping their game when it comes to plants. Some really nice stuff in their planted tanks now, and it looks sort of cleaner and tidier than it did before.

#27 ·
Cool! Exotic Aquatics has a bunch of Mopani, but I'd really like to find some more "gangly" wood for my new Walstad tank (Manzanita fits this desire well). I have Mopani in my high-tech and it looks nice, but I'd like to have a piece of driftwood with multiple branches reaching out from a central "trunk" for the new tank. Also, I'm worried that a big heavy piece of Mopani may lead to an anoxic zone in the soil.

#28 ·
Hmm.. I have a big, heavy mess of driftwood right in the middle of my tank. I can definitely see it causing an anoxic zone, although there is a cave that goes through the middle so it can't be too big.

Is it true that a burrowing team of Malaysian trumpet shrimp will keep the soil aerated? They certainly disappear during the day.

#29 ·
Well I have Trumpet Snails, they are okay. They dig and every time they dig they move the pebbles around in a new formation. But I think I still have some dead spots, cuz one time I was vacuuming really deep in an area without plants, something happened and the water started to smell like rotten eggs!!! YUCK!!

This is my newest MTS, I got it from over_stocked. It is the biggest trumpet snail I have ever seen in my life, therefore I kept it as a pet and stuck it in my 10g. All mine that I get from petsmart never get any bigger than 1/2". Though I did have one before that was around 1in, but I gave it a way few months ago...

#33 ·
But I think I still have some dead spots, cuz one time I was vacuuming really deep in an area without plants, something happened and the water started to smell like rotten eggs!!! YUCK!!
That would be an anoxic zone, hydrogen sulfide (H2S) is what you are smelling. Nasty stuff, it partitions oxygen out of the blood stream.

#34 ·
Went by Aqua Imports yesterday. Not a whole lot new, although they did have an Ornate Bichir I hadn't noticed before. No new shrimp or manzanita though. If nothing else it's worth it to go by and check out the "sabre tooth piranha". I ended up buying an "Angel-Blue Ram". The owner told me it was a cross between an Angel Fish and German Blue Ram. The little guy is very cool looking!

#35 ·
Not

It is not a cross between an angel and a ram. It's not a hybrid. Just a scenario similar to balloon mollies. Angels and rams are of different genera so crossing of both species is not really possible. The balloon shape is the malformed swim bladder gene that has been isolated and used to create this new shape.

At least that is what I have been told?

#37 ·
I went to Aqua Imports too, and one of them guys was really nice and helpful. But I think he was trying to convince me to buy some Crystal Shrimp even though I told him that my tank was hot and alkaline xD

I do kinda want to try Crystals, but my tank is too hot for them. I can probably lower the pH... but it's the temp that's probably gonna be the problem for them.

#38 ·
was it the younger teenage guy? lol I was in there today to. I picked up a cardinal plant and Apon. ulvaceus for my 10 gal. And to start looking at nano fish for when I am able to setup the 5.5 in my office lol. I usually talk to Jon, the guy that looks like shaggy from scooby doo but with a goatee.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.