The Planted Tank Forum banner

2.5 gallon nano - help needed please

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  brohawk 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I've got a 2.5 gal AGA tank that's been set up since November '07. Here are the specs:

18W Coralife Mini
1/4 inch of potting soil (I don't know what brand, etc as I threw away the bag, and had been storing it in a tupperware cntr for about a year before I used it.) It's got some small pieces of bark in it, and I picked out most of the pearlite before adding to the tank.
1 inch of regular conga rock/aquarium gravel
Zoo Med 501 canister filter w/ lily pipes, bio rings & filter floss only.
DIY CO2, random trace/iron ferts.
Shou stone from ADA, said to be inert, but I never tested it.
Planted w/ HC and dwarf hairgrass.
Only inhabitants now are cherry shrimp. Moved the remaining 2 boraras micros (started w/ 6) to my 29 gal last month, as they hadn't thrived / gradually died every month or two in the 2.5 gal.

So here's the deal. My tap water is a fantastic 2 - 3 GH/KH. But my tank stays at around 9 KH & 11 GH. For the first 3 months I had zebra rock in the tank rather than shou stone, and when I realized my tank's hardness had gone through the roof, I did some testing of the zebra rocks sitting in tap water for a week and found moderate (6 GH), but not extreme buffering going on. So in February I pulled them all out and replaced them w/ the shou stone.

BUT, my KH/GH continues to stay around 9 & 11. After a 50% water change I can get them both down to around 7 or 8 but w/in 3 or 4 days they're back up again. I've contented myself lately to do just a quart WC at a time, a couple times a week, so as not to stress the shrimp too much. Still, they've never once bred in the entire 6 months (I've lost a few, replaced a few during that time as well).

You guys think there's still sediment from the zebra stone in the tank that's causing the hard water, or something else? In 3 months' worth of WCs, wouldn't you think I'd at least see some drop in hardness?? Would appreciate any suggestions you guys have. Thanks!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.