The Planted Tank Forum banner

My second Nano (56 K W) (2 more pics added 11/15/06)

7K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  CL 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, I must admit I've got the MTS (Multiple Tank Syndrome) :hihi:

This is my second nano:

Specs

Tank: 35*35*45 cms ( 13.78 * 13.78 * 17.72 inches) (4 inches of the longer side are for the filter) All 6mm glass, except for the filter, it's made with 3 mm thick black acrilic pieces
Volume : 10 gallons
Substrate : 1 bag of Seachem's fluorite and some tiny natural gravel (maybe 2 -3 pounds)
Filtration : Modular bult-in filter with ceramic rings, rough sponges, lava rock, floss and an aquaclear sponge to help dissolve co2.
Co2: DIY
Heater : None
Light : 3 15 watt 6,500 K General Electric screw-in fluorescent bulbs
Ferts: Potassium Nitrate and Fluorish Excel 3 times per week.
W/C's : 50% Once a week (tap water) EI method? ... kinda... I've read Tom Barr's articles and I wanted to try something like that, my other nano and the 82 gal are low-tech.
Plants : Hemianthus Micrantemoides, Micranthemum Umbrosum, Alternanthera Reineckii Rosaefolia, Hydrocotyle Verticillata, Glossostima Elatinoides and Lilaeopsis Mauritiana, all plantas are Tropica species.
Fish : 2 Otocinclus (sp?) 9 Harlequin Rasbora
Snails : I've seen two Ramshorns and 1 pond snail until now.
Decoration : 3 black lava rocks and 2 small pieces of Driftwood.
Canopy & Stand are yet to be made, but I will do it as soon as I can.

Well, here are the pics :

Bare Tank

Filter (horrible pic LOL)

Glosso & Lilaeopsis Mauritiana

Rocks & Wood

Snails

Harlequin Rasbora (sorry for the BAD pic)

Right Side

Full shot (took this before adding livestock)

This is all for now, thanks in advance for reading this post and looking at the pics, and thanks in advance for your comments/suggestions :wink:

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks D.gilly, I will try to post some pics of the filter in the DIY board when I build the stand & canopy.

#8 ·
Thanks tha_beeg, it was hard to find it, unfortunately we don´t have LFS that sell manzanita driftwood, so we have to look very carefully in the local markets.

#10 ·
Hey Andy, I hope you join The Nano Army soon :wink:

For those who wants to take a look at the the modular filter, here are some pics:

The intake :

Top, you can see the intake and outake

"aerial" views

The pump (Rio 50)

The whole tank

Well, that's all for now.

Regards, Guillermo.

#11 ·
nice filtration....inspiring.

#12 ·
#15 ·
Beautiful job, and I really like the filter. It looks like this idea can be used on almost any rectangular tank that is big enough so the powerhead compartment isn't to big a percentage of the remainder of the tank and filter compartments. Now I'm getting even more interested in trying a nano.

#16 ·
Hi guys.

*Joe* The first pic is a ramshorn, the second is a pond snail, both species are good algae and decaying matter eaters, usually some eggs come as hitchhickers in new plants.

*Bigstick120* The only thing I would change, could be the Althernanthera Reineckii, I'd prefer some other red/pinkish smaller plant like Pogostemon stellatus, Rotala macrandra or Limnophila aromatica, but I couldn't find those species.

*Hoppy*

It looks like this idea can be used on almost any rectangular tank that is big enough so the powerhead compartment isn't to big a percentage of the remainder of the tank and filter compartments
Yes, in fact I'm debating to build a bigger one, maybe a 20*20*20 for my mother-in-law using the same kind of filtration :hihi:

I hope you set up a Nano and join us :proud:

I appreciate everybody's input in this thread, it's great to now what you think about my tanks.

*Off-Topic P.S.* Bigstick, I'm a big fan of the Steelers too !

#19 ·
Hi guys, I added 2 more pics

I decided to change the DIY co2 for Fluorish Excel, the growth is slower, but the excel is helping a lot to prevent algae.

#20 ·
This is pretty awesome, I love the filter setup you have. I wonder how much of a pain it would be to do a similer setup but make part of that back area a sump or something where you could put small bog type plants or something.
I think the only thing I don't especially like is how light the substrate is but part of that is probably your good lighting :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.