The Planted Tank Forum banner

Suggested light for 5 gallon?

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  customdrumfinishes 
#1 ·
Hi all. We've put our 5 gallon back up to house some shrimp... it's been used in the past only for fry so wasn't ever concerned about the lighting. I'd like to keep some plants in it this time. This is the tank... http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3635107

It has a full incandescent hood with 15-watt bulb... I want to keep the hood on but it will be impossible to grow anything with that bulb. I would like to be able to keep some HM in there, possibly something else that will require at least medium light.

Will probably hook up our Hagen co2 to it and dosing ferts as well.

The hood has a 25 watt max... what light bulb do you think would be the best choice so I can get the most out of it for the plants I want to grow? I know wpg won't really mean a thing with that small of tank, but do you think I can get "medium" light with just a bulb in the hood?

Thanks for any help.

#4 ·
If you go with 27 watts you will have to keep on top of your ferts, inject c02 and or Seachem Excel to prevent an algae breakout. I am not saying it cannot be done, but it may turn out to be a tough balancing act and you will have to watch things very carefully just to maintain any balance as algae spores will always be waiting in the wings to take advantage of any mishaps, imbalance, or nutrient deficiencies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.