Overstocked?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 06-13-2014, 09:06 PM   #1
Dead2fall
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Overstocked?

Hey all, I'm wondering if I'm overstocked. I have a 35 gallon hex.

8 assorted platys
9 tiny neon tetras
2 lyre tail dalmatian mollies
1 balloon molly
5 scissor tail rasboras
8 or so tiny feeder guppies
2 golden Chinese algae eaters
? Of what I'm thinking are guppy fry

I only saw one fry, but if there's one I'm sure there are more. Everyone gets along OK, accept the cae chase eachother. Didn't read into them before I got them, I know it should only be one in there or none. Can't catch the lil punks now lol.

Params are all OK, nitrate is a tiny bit on the high side. It comes out of my well at 25ppm so this is pretty much normal.

I have 2 java ferns, 7 or 8 sub to top stems of hornwort, a sword, lots of Java Moss, 2 unknown wild plants, and 2 frogbit pads which are both nearing a split. Low light 26w 6500k CFL, nutrafin diy co2, and I dose once a week with leaf zone.
Dead2fall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2014, 01:59 AM   #2
greaser84
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

That's a lot of fish for a 35 gallon tank. Your definitely going to have fish out grow that tank. Those algae eater's get pretty big, they are also semi aggressive fish. 25ppm nitrate from your well is very high, your going to have to do frequent water changes.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:45 AM   #3
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

I would get rid of the CAEs, get a couple of Otos. Better suited to the small size of everything else.

As for overstocked... for fish, yes, sort of.
But on the other hand, you are understocked for plants... Get more plants.

Then the 25 ppm NO3 from the well will not be a problem, but will be a plant fertilizer.

I hope you and your family are not drinking that water.
Diana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:17 PM   #4
Betta132
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Add a bottle trap to catch the CAE.
Plant the tank, definitely, and maybe remove some of the platies.
If you plant the tank, you aren't really overstocked, just DEFINITELY get rid of the CAEs.
Betta132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:04 PM   #5
Dead2fall
Algae Grower

Yeah I really want to get rid of them. I have a 5.5 im setting up right now, thinking of putting some of the plats in there. Been drinking the water for decades with no problem lol. Never give it to the babies though. The thing that sucks about the hex is the foot print. I don't have much room for plants.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:06 PM   #6
Dead2fall
Algae Grower

Old 06-15-2014, 03:22 AM   #7
CAPSLOK
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I like the layout of the driftwood, helps use some of the vertical space that is typically not used well (by aquascaping or fish).

Agree on changing out the CAEs w/ otos or just removing the CAEs and leaving the rest well enough alone.
CAPSLOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 03:59 AM   #8
Dead2fall
Algae Grower

Thank you! I actually found that out in the woods and it was just too perfect for the tank. It's actually cedar. I have read a lot about cedar being no good, but honestly I have seen no ill effect on flora or fauna. Not even inverts have been affected. It did have that cedar smell when I cut it to size too. I found a study on cedar oil used as pesticide and it's effects on fish. They tested maximum soluble level on trout and another species that I forget. Showed no ill effects either.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:11 PM   #9
Oceangirl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Platys are going to need at least a 20 Gallon. They are poop machines! I had 9 platys in a 29 gallon and they said I was over stocked! I used a general fish calculator. I would get rid of the Mollies too, they are the worst! I had to clean my filter 2 times per week (It was an Aquaclear 70!) because of the poop they make. Trust me it will make your life and tank easier and cleaner.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:22 AM   #10
Dead2fall
Algae Grower

I added some anarchis and dwarf hairgrass today. Hopefully that will help. Kind of doubting the dhg will take down so low from the light, but I had some leftover from planting my 5.5g so I threw a few clumps in there. About all I can afford atm unless someone wants to ship me some stuff I can plant lol.