The Planted Tank Forum banner

Fluval *04 pipes vs other make's pipes

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  pineapple 
#1 ·
I recently bought a Fluval 304 and find two annoying issues with it, small but irritating:

(a) the pipes. These pipes are corrugated, which makes for easier bending around corners - but the myriad ribs in its interior are excellent places for gunk to build up. Altering the flow rate upwards leads to a spurt of gunk being delivered into the tank as the higher flow strips the muck out of the ribs. Smooth pipes make for smooth laminar flow. Pipes with interior protrusions like the Fluval's currugations make for turbulent flow and the gunk build-up problem. I wonder if anyone has replaced these Fluval corrigated pipes with smooth vinyl or other tubing? I assume the Eheim filters have smooth pipes, right?

(b) pipe clamps. Fluval uses suction cups to fix the outflow etc into the tank. Does anyone know where I can obtain some clips or clamps which can be used around the rim of the aquarium for such fixtures?

Thanks in advance. (And yes, I do regret not buying an Eheim...)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.