The Planted Tank Forum banner

12g Long DSM with MTS

16K views 52 replies 20 participants last post by  andrewjohn007 
#1 ·
Specs:
Tank - 12 G Long Mr Aqua
Stand - Modified 36" x 14" Wire Shelving Unit
Tank Pad - Mr. Aqua
Lights - 36" Current USA Satellite LED+ (ordered a second unit today)
Heating - Hydor 50W Substrate Cable w Thermostat (not hip, I know)
Substrates - 2L Bama Plants Mineralized Topsoil capped with 20lbs Eco-Comp Black Fine Grade and 5lbs Voodoo River Super Natural
Hardscape - Wyoming Eden Valley Petrified Wood from E-bay

Flora:
HC
Glosso

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Thank you for the props!

Yesterday I pulled some of the Glosso that was hurting and replaced it with 2 more baskets of HC from the LFS. From what I can gather, Glosso does better when you break the basket down into extremely small portions and virtually eliminate the rockwool. On the contrary, the HC seems to do well anywhere from 1/2 inch plugs down to single strand plantings.

Here is day three after misting and then cleaning the front glass.

In a week or so I should have the lead on some S. Repens for the mid and background.

Attachments

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Two Weeks into DSM (7/19/13)

As mentioned previously and now confirmed, I learned a valuable lesson regarding the proper planting of Glosso - treat it like a hair transplant! Whereas you can plant HC in 1 cm cubes, Glosso eschews rock wool and wants to hit the soil without any encumbrances.

Here are some updated shots of the tank reminding me that I just haven't earned it yet... Apologies for the I-Phone quality.

The Glosso to the right is all but disintegrated, whereas the left side is hanging on. I can see how they are on the verge of a running sprint to exercise their genetic manifest destiny.

See if you can spot the three groupings of S. Repens...

And there's the full frontal shotweighing in around 100 PAR, courtesy of a second 36" Current USA Satellite LED+. Love them fixtures!

Attachments

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
Update - 14 Days of DSM (7.19.13)

So two weeks into the DSM and I am pretty pleased with the results. Here are my observations to date:

1. Plant Glosso like you are performing a hair transplant.

2. Glosso starts deceivingly slow like the 13 colonies. I'm thinking manifest destiny comes next. Even though my poor planting technique nuked 40% of the original plant mass, the remaining flora looks like it's about to riot.

3. You can't put too much LED light over a DSM. I have 50 watts a mere 7" above the tree tops and I don't see any signs of overexposure. Word on the streets that's a 100 PAR.

5. DSM is a great method of budgeting your finances for flood time equipment related expenses.

Here's a bird's eye and a full frontal. See if you can spot the three tribes of S. Repens.

Attachments

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
Update - 21 Days of DSM (7.27.13)

The scape is now three weeks at 100 PAR and no water. I lost one shoot of S. Repens for it was set higher than any of the others (1.5") and likely did not get enough water to the roots. I tend to error on the side of early removal practices for fear of decay, mold, fungus, etc. Especially in such a small tank.

The new Glosso, as individually (read: painfully) planted is doing much better compared to the previous crop which I planted in ametuer fashion.

One of my favorites, a 2" square of UG, should arrive on Monday. It seems others either have one of two experiences with this carnivore: (1) awesome beautiful success; or (2) total failing decay. Any secrets to obtaining route one would be appreciated. The plant as sent comes from an emmersed specimen so hopefully the shock of transport will be offset somewhat by the continuity of growing conditions.

Here is a full frontal right after a healthy misting and front glass cleaning, yet before the application of saran wrap.

P.S. Sorry for the crappy i-phone shots. I need another hobby (photography) like a fish needs a bicycle

Attachments

#11 ·
Hey Sayurasem,

Thanks for asking! I have been on the road for work and I popped back to Florida to see my folks, so I have only seen my tank twice in two weeks. IMHO it is right on target. Other than a few patchy spots from Glosso that didn't take, the lower tiered area is 80% carpeted. I have added some S. Repens, UG and a sprig of dwarf marsh hydrocotle. I am looking to do a 4-5 species tank as far as flora is concerned. 2 types of carpeting plants and then a midground and a background species. I am going to let the Glosso, HC and the UG battle it out for the foreground, whereas the S. Repens will be the midground.

I have a few stem plants in mind for the background, but they won't be added until I flood, which I hope to be in two weeks. Any favorites you can suggest for a fast growing stem plant that will fit nice with the current set up?

I am waiting to get the regulator together as I have all the parts I need for an initial dosing system. Or at least I think I do!

My anxiety to flood is tempered by my fear of not having everything completely sorted and tested. To have come this far and suffer a melt off or similar catastrophic event would sting bad.

I will post some update pics soon along with a have/need equipment inventory.

#12 ·
Update - 37 Days of DSM (8.11.13)

Here are some pictures from almost two weeks ago. I am looking forward to seeing what progress has been made this week as I have been out of town.

I have a solenoid, FNV and brass fittings on the way so I can get my regulator assembled.

Attachments

#16 ·
Thank you all, I really appreciate the positive feedback. I couldn't have even come close to getting where I am without the 12G Rimless Club forum. I spent months reading every post and every journal until I took the plunge. The stones are all petrified wood that I picked up over a few months of scoping out the market action online. It priced out under $ 2 per lb. Patience and observation paid off. Wait until you see the stone underwater - the detail and texture really comes to life when submerged.

Heading to the LFS then coming back to mist, trim, photograph and post.

#18 ·
Update - 57 Days of DSM (8.31.13)

Getting antsy to flood the tank, however the CO2 tank needs to be tested, filled and the regulator needs to be assembled. Then I need to complete the Cerges Reactor, which is still in need of a few parts.

I think I am looking at 2-3 weeks still.

Attachments

#19 ·
9.21.13 Update

I am waiting on a few more bits and pieces to arrive so I can complete my CO2 system and test it along with the Cerges reactor. If all checks out I will flood the tank next week.

I had a slight die off as I think I let the substrate's water level drop too low. Also I had some noticeable valleys between the clumps of HC so I filled it in with some Aqua Soil that I picked up. It seems to be coming around nicely.

Can't wait to have an aquarium again.

(Finally cropped my pictures)

Attachments

#22 ·
9.28.13 aka Week 12 of DSM

Here is my parting shot of algae free, easy maintenance days and my optimal shopping list for the wet ahead:

Rotala Sp. (Green)
Hygrophila Angustifolia
Didiplis diandra or Heteranthera zosterifolia or Ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata
Pogostemon stellatus

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.