The Planted Tank Forum banner

My Noob 55 Gallon MTS Tank

3K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  AntiSoberSam 
#1 · (Edited)
Starting my tank journal finally for my mineralized top soil 55 gallon Cichlid/angelfish/haven't decided yet tank. Yes I know you're not supposed to plant a cichlid tank or build slopes. I march to the beat of a different drummer though. So follow along on this adventure. Been a trip so far. Cracked the glass and had a mirror placed over it and resealed to help with light. Then the hunt for the perfect rock. Finally found it and I'm finally making progress. Going to plant as soon as I finish the hardscape.

As far as equipment I'm running

2 Sunsun 403b filters
200w Hydor heater
48" Current Satellite Freshwater Led+

Made my own MTS following the instructions from the link below and caped it with black blasting sand.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...-mineralized-soil-substrate-aaron-talbot.html

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
Haha the rock is not to big! The tank is too small! It's only 60lbs lol. I really wouldn't like to break it up since it would entail screwing up my MTS and sand cap. Unless there is some easy way to do so. I do have a 75 gallon I plan to put it in eventually (after I find my Burmese python a good home as it is his feeding tank). For now its gonna stay. But it will end up in my 75g where it will fit much better. I originally got it because of the holes thinking the cichlids would like it. What about the rocks on the right? The middle one is buried so I wasn't really planning on moving that since its buried in the slope. I told you guys this was a noob tank :)

#9 ·
I like the small ones on the right, get some anubius or java ferns going on them, I think nubius' will look better
ditch the big rock completely. Find a good piece of driftwood that helps create a different look from the rocks, while creating more habitat.

As for fish, something like german blue rams will love I mean just LOVE those small caves in the rocks on the right. But wait to get them till the tank has been running for a while.

Once it's planted I suggest working on getting a good school of tetra's going, whether is be the commons like neons, rummys, or cardinals. They all look good and are easy to find.
Angelfish are a good choice too, they'll do great in a planted tank. At most go with 4 or 5, and get them young. Even if you find a local breeder, getting some as small as a quarter is not a bad idea. I find that this size helps them in the long run: deal with the tank perim's that you are keeping, learn to live with the other inhabitants, and have more personality then if you get adult's.

I'm sure you've seen this before, but get the plants going on a good setup with ferts/lights/co2 before you start throwing in fish. Also, if you're looking for a good cleaner, I highly suggest albino bristlenose plecos, constantly cleaning, actually look good, stay small, not bully's.
Just my opinion.

#10 ·
Lol everyone dislikes the big rock. For now it has to stay until my 75 g tank is free. I have a 25g tank which I will be transferring some of the fish to this tank. I do like the blue rams so you will probably see them in the tank in the future

Fish to be transferred from 25g:

2 black marbled Angelfish (got them at about quarter size)
Rainbow Shark
Panda Garra
Pelvicachromis taeniatus aka Moliwe

#15 ·
Just got back from the store with:

Broad leaf chain sword (echinodorus quadricostatus) x 3 (7 Total)
Petchii (Cryptocoryne petchii) x 2 (6 total)
Frazeri (Anubias x.) x 2
Dwarf Subulata (Sagitteria Subulata) x 8
Red Wendtii (cryptocoryne wendtii) x 3
Red Jungle Val (Vallisneria gigantee marmor) x 4
Java Fern (Microsorum pteropus) x 2 (3 total)

now to get planting...

#21 ·
Plants are coming along nicely. My broad leaf chains are throwing out runners. Crypts are looking good as well as the Anubias,java ferns amazon sword, and Val. Most of my Narrowleaf Ludwigia melted along with the moneywort. Any suggestions or advice on the placement of my plants? I'm thinking of moving some chain swords to the front left of the tank and moving the dwarf subulata to my 25g tank. I'd rather rearrange them before I introduce livestock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.