The Planted Tank Forum banner

HELP Clown Loach

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Lupin 
#1 ·
My friend's clown loach is sick! This is how she described him to me.

His fins and whiskers look like they've been "melted"
He usually hangs out at the bottom, but he's been swimming up and down the tank
she's had him for 6 years
there's one other clown loach but he's fine
all other fish are unaffected

she tried ich medication and raising temps slowly
she thinks now its not ich but some kind of bacterial/fungal infection
she said that hes been acting strange but he kept hiding so she never really thought he was sick
the only recent additions to her tank were some new plants (rotala, anubias)

she hasn't done a water change in a while
she doesn't have a test kit

i'm hoping i can help test water parameters
do water change
find out whats she feeding and/or feed it

Any ideas as to whats wrong?

See less See more
#2 ·
She's had them for 6 years and never invested in a test kit?
My first suggestion to any aquarist would be to buy a test kit. Its a hassle to always go to your LFS and rely on their readings. Having your own kit will help you learn alot more about water and what it may contain.

For all we know her ammonia could be high, nitrites could be high?
Definitely get the water tested first.
My personal suggestion is always test the water if you see any signs of sick fish before you treat for it.

Most ich curing chemicals will help with fin rot aswell but not all. I'd also suggest a water change if that hasnt been done in a while. The best way to get rid of harmful chemicals in your tank is to do a water change.
But get that water tested.

San Diego
Ghost Shrimp for Sale with Shrimp Pictures at AquariumFish.net where Buying is Fun.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/swap-n-shop/41379-2-amano-shrimp.html?highlight=amano+shrimp

#3 ·
yeah i'm definently testing her water before doing a water change. and i'll definently make her buy a test kit today.

ive never had loaches so i'm kind of in the dark with info to help her.
shes actually my coworker. i think the fish was an inheritance from another friend so the fish has been in that tank for 6 years but only under her care for a year. she knows some of her fish info but other stuff she has no idea. she doesn't do enough research or read forums.

#4 ·
His fins and whiskers look like they've been "melted"
Sounds like a case of fin and mouth rot combo. Try to determine her water parameters. You may have to isolate that clown and treat accordingly. Be careful when treating. I'd recommend half dosage as most of the medications can harm loaches. Loaches are rather scaleless thus lacking enugh protection from the effects of the meds.

I used Sera Baktopur in this case.:smile: I'd do only half dosage rather than the actual dosing.
she tried ich medication and raising temps slowly
she thinks now its not ich but some kind of bacterial/fungal infection
she said that hes been acting strange but he kept hiding so she never really thought he was sick
the only recent additions to her tank were some new plants (rotala, anubias)
It appears she is treating the fish unnecessarily. Wrong meds can harm the fish rather than help. Her case is bacterial infection. Sera Baktopur as previously mentioned might do the job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.