The Planted Tank Forum banner

I Hate Planting

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Zippos 
#1 ·
It's frustrating! I stick the plant in the substrate and, as I back out the tweezers, the plant backs out right along with them. It's like I can't get the tweezers to let go of the plant... If I do get theplant to stay then I fight the same problem with the next plant compounded by trying desperately not to disturb the previously planted plant. Arrrrrghhh!

I just love this relaxing hobby... :)

#4 ·
It is probably your substrate. Gravel type substrate is hard to plant in as opposed to sand. As well, after you put at root in, you have to allow the tweezers to open wide enough to not grab the plant when you pull out. Leaving any debris on the tweezers/tongs when planting the next plant will take away your ability to grasp it securely so wipe the tweezers off after each pplant you put in. These are just some of the things I learned the hard way. My first tank had Flora Max substrate, and it was a nightmare trying to plant DHG in and never stayed in. Aqua Soil capped with sand was much easier.

Obsession is a matter of opinion

#5 ·
Yup, allowing the tweezers to open is crucial as I was always ripping stuff out. Bury it nice and deep, then lightly let go so they open before you pull them out of the substrate. There is also less chance for me to pull the stem out if I hold the tweezers from the very back.

It still happens occasionally but has gotten less frequent, there is definitely a finesse required.

#7 ·
One thing that might also help is different tweezers.

I've had this problem before as well, and generally just work carefully and deal with it. But recently I was watching a video on YouTube and noticed the guy had tweezers with especially thin tips, and very little in the way of ridges. This means less friction to hold the stems still, and probably means squeezing a little harder, but it also means it's easier to extract the tweezers than with my fairly grippy tweezers.

Looking over Amazon I see these two options that look pretty close to the ones that guy was working with (doubtless his were $50+ ADA tweezers):

Amazon.com : Aquarium Plant Stainless Steel Straight Tweezer Clip

Amazon.com : 10.6" Length Aquarium Nonslip Straight Point Tip Stainless Steel Tweezer

Look closely at the tips (it's clearer in one than the other) and you'll see what I mean.

#8 ·
Most of the budget aquarium-marketed tweezers (and scissors) readily available aren't very good for planting (or cutting). They are very poorly made and ridiculously overpriced. I've bought half a dozen tweezers and they were all craptastic! That means they sucked.

What you should be looking for are these three things:
1) very low closure tension - allows holding at the very end of the tweezers
2) narrow tip (2mm) that aligns perfectly - easy to insert and remove
3) light weight - eases dexterity

Don't waste your money on budget "aquarium" tweezers. Don't spend your money on expensive name brand tweezers, either. You can get great forceps for under $15 but you'll need to know where to look.

#9 ·
I've been happy with the cheap 12" tweezers I linked above. Very handy, and way better than the Fluval ones with the bent tips. Only every once in a while do I have the issues the OP mentioned.

That said, care to share this super-secret source for inexpensive quality forceps that you're taunting us with? ;)

#10 ·
It's frustrating! I stick the plant in the substrate and, as I back out the tweezers, the plant backs out right along with them.
Use the tweezers to insert the roots first not the stem, rhizome, etc.

Use a twisting motion as you release the tweezers.

The soil should tumble and fall like if the mountains should crumble to the sea. I won't cry, I won't cry.

Other times you'll need to bury the plant with the tweezers and gently pull it up so the leaves are exposed.

Bulldoze some soil back to the plant with the tweezers or the soil flattening tool.

It helps to prep each plant or cutting by snipping the 4 lower leaves to leave a 1/4" -1/2" barb of each to help keep it anchored.

I have a simple white cutting board that has a drip groove just for prepping plants.

#11 ·
Many thanks for the tips and suggestions, folks. I do think much of the problem may come from the tweezers I'm using. They are very difficult to close - require quite a bit of force and they don't open all that wide when released. I also noticed the it was only the very tippy tips that came together when I first got them and that made it extremely difficult to grasp a narrow stem. I've since reformed the ends a bit so the tips are a bit more parallel making it a little bit easier to grasp the plant. But the require so much force that I often find I'm dropping the plant while halfway to the substrate.

I'm gonna look for new tweezers and will probably try those that were suggested above. I'm too old to be learning new cuss words! :)

#16 ·
If you can bend surgical stainless steel out of shape, then you didn't get what you paid for or maybe you did. Nikon camera gave away as a promotional a great little pair of stainless steel scissors. To bad they aren't in the aquatic business.

You should be able to find a "Aqua" set of landscaping tools for around $30 that includes tweezers, scissors, etc. The scissors that came with mine, I'm not sure I like more then the nikon scissors but the two tweezers and the spatula are high end enough. The scissors probably just need sharpening.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.