The Planted Tank Forum banner

eheim surface skimmer?

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Momotaro 
#1 ·
since im an eheim pimp i must have all the accessories right? Anyone have experience with the surface extractor? my pt gets alot of film on the top, and was wondering how this does to keep it clean? also any downsides? noisy? water level? where can i get one? thanks!

#2 ·
I had one and ran it for a month or so. It works pretty well after your done tinkering with it. It does create a small amount of sound, however. I opted to take it out because I wanted to get as much equipment out of sight as possible. The extractor itself is kind of an eyesore IMO. I bought mine at marineandreef.com. I think it was around $30.

#4 ·
When my tank was new, I had a lot of protein-lipid scum on the top of my tank. In time, this stuff went away. I don't know exactly what got rid of it. It seemed to have vanished as soon as my vals started resting on the surface. I'm glad I was patient (a rarity for me). To temporarily take care of the problem, I submerged a bottle in the water and just barely let water flow over the edge. That scum is very cohesive. You can get it all off the top filling just one bottle. Try it, you'll see ;).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.