The Planted Tank Forum banner

lights for under canopy

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Ghostface 
#1 ·
Hi TPT,
I need lights for a 60x18x26 120g with a canopy. Current makes a light for this tank but I was told it is not recommended for a canopy and to use a retrofit kit. I have plants growing in a 55g with co2 that I will put in the tank. I am trying to get at least 2watts per gallon. Can any one help me or recommend some other light to use?

Thank Ghost

#2 ·
I have a Current in my canopy on my 90G. I just installed fans on the canopy and leave it open on occassion to let the heat out.

#4 ·
#9 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies. I was thinking about getting 2x95 and 2x55 from AH supply. That would give me 2.5watts per gallon. I was also looking at a 4’ 4x65 compact light from coralife. It would give me 2.0 watts per gallon. What would be the best option? Now if I go with the retrofits kits do you know of any sites that will show me how to install to a canopy? I am on a budget so I am trying to get the best value for my dollar.

Thanks Ghost

#11 ·
It's pretty easy, you follow the wiring diagram on the ballast or the ballast's website. I agree, I like t5's too. The icecap reflectors are nice too that you don't have to install them to the canopy, they clip to the bulb. I also have the new endcaps, standoffs and a ballast that I can give you for a good deal too ;).

#10 ·
Go with ahsupply, as they have better reflectors, unlike coralife. Yes those reflectors will let you get more light into the tank. From what I've read, ahsupply will provide instructions on how to use their kits, and their customer service has always been good.

Personally, I'd go with a 4-bulb 80W (60") T5HO retrofit w/ IceCap reflectors - but that's because I'm a fan of T5HO's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.