The Planted Tank Forum banner

What's wrong with my phoenix moss?

6K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  DennisSingh 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

So I got some phoenix moss to put in my 10 gallon about a month ago and I think something might be wrong with it now. Overall, it still looks green but there's like these hair-like strings coming out of it for some reason. (see attached pics) I tried moving it around thinking that it might be hair algae but it's part of the plant....
Any advice?...

Thanks,
Kt

Attachments

See less See more
#9 ·
It is clado, but it is not too bad to deal with in my experience. The algae itself will grow like a plant does (you cannot control it by having perfect conditions like most other algae species) but it is a very slow growing algae.

It will bubble vigorously and die when you treat it with hydrogen peroxide from the pharmacy store.

Here is what you do. Get a syringe from the pharmacy (you ask at the counter, it is for feeding babies medicine) and suck up some peroxide, then squirt it on the moss. This must be done underwater or you will kill the moss. Do not remove the moss from the tank when you apply peroxide. The maximum dose you can use per day is 3 mL / gallon / day. The algae should die with 1 treatment, but if you are treating a large section of the stuff it may take several days of treating each section to kill it off. The day after you treat the algae you will notice that it has changed colors and is now a gray/whitish color, this means it is dead. It will take a few days to decay away. You may need to do a second treatment after a week or two to kill any stragglers.

#12 ·
Did you kill the algae off along with the moss off with h2o2? depending on how much you dosed.. At this stage your moss seems more delicate and prone to melt away, so thought I'd ask the q. Update? I'd try going more flow and add co2 in there..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.