The Planted Tank Forum banner

Extreme Bloating in All Tanks...?!

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Noahma 
#1 ·
Wasn't expecting this at all... I saw my female killifish in one tank getting larger so I assumed eggs. I noticed today while feeding that the males were unusually bloated too. I just thought to myself, "Oh god, this tank is a goner..."

So I began feeding my other tank and I noticed one of my female guppies, that I've had for many months, has extreme bloating as well. It also has one male and one female killifish in it, so I feel like it was the killifish that brought the parasites in.

On one of the male killies, there is a red dot on his stomach. I remember seeing this on a fish I had a long time ago before he got lethargic and died. I noticed a long white string hanging out of this particular fish, so I'm confident it is a parasite.

I have Prazi Pro... Is that worth a shot? Any repercussions to that in a freshwater tank?

#3 ·
bloat is most likely due to internal infections of the organs usually. Separate them and start treating with antibiotics. If they're still eating, feed them antibiotics.

The white string is caused by microbial parasites in the intestines. You have to get metronedazole.

If it's a worm, you should see it hanging out of the rear.

So yeah, you got multiple problems.

#10 ·
What are the tank parameters. And do you share nets, buckets and tools between tanks?

Most likely if it is a virus, bacteria or parasite it traveled from one infected tank to others with the same equipment. I would recommend isolating all tanks with separate nets, buckets siphons etc in the future.

Bad water parameters can cause bloat as well. If the tanks are truly not getting proper water changes, I could see this happening.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.