The Planted Tank Forum banner

Flame moss for a peat bog?

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  steven p 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, in an odd chain of event(as most things in life are) i wound up acquiring a new tank a while ago and moved 4 angels, their dither guppy girls and a bn plec into a 72bow. this left an empty 29 gallon sitting in my living room, receiving poor indirect window light. scraps of flame moss, which always refused to grow in that tank, got left behind.

some few weeks later, maybe a couple months actually, I needed to qt a wounded pictus. filled that sucker up and noticed that the moss had been creeping on the old black blasting sand substrate.

it has since been drained; i figured, if it's growing with no light, just as well give it some wattage and grow moss on stuff for fun.

now... i have started a new job recently and am allowed to read among other things in my down time and have been blowing through all the planted aquarium related materials they[the library] have in rotation. I have read a small book about ponds and bogs, it covered lots of different grasses, sedges, iris plants, lilies.. etc... what clicked with me is the brief explanation of sphagnum peat moss bogs.

soooooooo... tl:dr can i use other mosses to start a glass-house bog in my aquarium? or has this already started.

also, while you're here.. i've read that aponogetons are not supposed to have an emergent leaf form? however, i am witnessing dormant bulbs putting up pairs of leaves as they shake their cool spell.. whats up with that?

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.