The Planted Tank Forum banner

Captivate's 29g "Fresh Start"

6K views 40 replies 8 participants last post by  Captivate05 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm BAAAAAAAACK!!! :icon_twis

My tanks never recovered from the move over a year ago, and now the 29g is a MASSIVE eyesore in our new livingroom.

I refuse to put it away and forget about it. While I had a falling out with planted tanks (largely due to lack of funds), I wanted to get back into someday.

Today is that day!

Here's what I have right now:

Tank: 29g tall
Lights: 2x Coralife T5-NO (6700K) (not sure it's enough, but I can add more if need be)
Fliter: Eheim 2213
CO2: Pressurized w/reactor
~I also have a Koralia Nano powerhead

As far as substrate, I have Flourite. I'll probably use it in the back on the tank, but I'm thinking of putting some sort of sand or fine gravel "lawn" in the front. Not sure yet...

As far as flora, I'm thinking of sticking to fairly easy. Here's the initial list:

Blyxa j
Rotala rotundifolia
Java Fern
Anubias
Christmas moss
Maybe crypt parva/ marsilia/ pygmy chain sword

Fauna? Not sure yet. I think I'll stick with basic here too. Some sort of common tetra (Cardinal or Rummy Nose), otos (of course), and *maybe* corys. Probably some amano shrimp. I loved my RCS but they really limited my fish selection.

My tank needs some work before I can put anything into it. There's petrified duckweed and hard water scale covering almost ALL the glass. I've also decided to remove the stupid top rim. Because I can. The bottom rim I don't care about, but the top rim bothers me. I'll test it and see how badly it bows, but I really feel it isn't doing much to support the tank structurally. I also need to put some sort of background on it.

I'll post pictures after I work on it a bit. :smile:

The link to the tank before it was torn down: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=121831

See less See more
#3 ·
The Clean Up

The tank after I removed the driftwood and substrate:

Yeah, it's pretty nasty.

Here it is after I attacked the front pane with white vinegar and a lemon:

Lemons are beasts when it comes to hard water marks. I use them to clean water marks in my bathrooms every week. I'm not sure how well this will work out in the end, but if I can get most of the haze off the glass, I'll be happy.

I also don't know if my filter still works. It ran dry for a while (my kids hit the power button on the powerstrip and turned it on), so I'll have to mess with it. Hopefully it will still work...

#5 ·

Lemons did the trick! Not perfect, but it works.

I decided to not remove the rim- if I break the tank, I'll be SOL.

My husband broke a quick connect on the filter (in his defense, I couldn't get it undone and asked him to help), and my heater was also not working when I tested it, so I had to order a few things. I got a Jager 100w heater because it was recommended and Doctor's Foster and Smith had it on a decent sale and free shipping on orders $49+.

I put some more thought into the fauna I want to put in this tank. My list pretty much maxes out the capacity, but I figure I have a couple weeks until I start stocking my tank. My mind could change a hundred times before now and then.

Potential List:
10-15 Cardinal or Green Fire tetras
4-6 Otos
4-6 Habrosus Corys
A pair of German Blue Rams
A handful of Amano shrimp

Ever since getting started into the planted tanks, I would go to my LFS and stare at the GBRs because they are so fascinating. I've decided it's time to try them out :smile:

#6 ·
I can't leave this thing alone and I'm going nuts waiting for my stuff to come in, so I decided to start playing with potential hardscapes. I'm in a tough place because I don't have a bunch of money to spend and I would rather spend what I have on plants. BUT, I also want to make a quality hardscape. No amount of plants are going to look nice if the hardscape is crap.

Anyway, I posted this picture in the aquascaping area, but I'm posting it here too, since it's the best I have so far. I'll probably make some changes...

#8 ·
That's a real nice hardscape, but I think the rams would appreciate no extra swimmers in their territory, ottos, Cory's could be bumped up, but why not just enjoy the low maintence of have just a few fish?

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p

#9 ·

I change my mind about a million times a day about what I want to put into the tank. Now I'm leaning towards a small school of ember tetras, a handful of otos, and some cherry shrimp/amano shrimp. I love corys and I really like the look of GBRs, but I think I'll hold off on them until I can get a large tank...

#12 ·
Ok, don't laugh *too* hard at this, I'm not a graphics person and this is Microsoft Paint.

In every tank I've done in the past, I basically just threw things in when I got them, to varying success. I made this as kind of a guild line so that when I get the plants, I'm not staring at the tank trying to remember what I thought when I *was* being creative. Please forgive any misspellings...

I kind of want to put some pool filter sand in the front. Something pale. I've always used dark substrates, but the tan towel there it looks pretty neat...

#14 ·
Welcome back too!

Off to a slow start, but over all I think I'm pretty happy with what I have going on :)

So I visited my parent's house today to help them chop wood and it JUST occurred to me after looking at it that my mom has a little planted tank still. Everything is overgrown. I offered to trim up her plants if I could "steal" the trimmings. She told me go for it, and to take the Amano shrimp and the fish that still occupy the tank. She wants to redo it and put a fancy male betta in it. She has a cardinal tetra or two and possibly an oto left in the tank. So I'll probably set off to do that tomorrow :)

#15 ·
Hardscape Update

:biggrin:HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!:biggrin:

Finally decided to get off my tush and rinse out the substrate.

Here's what it looks like with substrate:

The hardwater marks are starting to resurface on the bad places. Go figure it starts that up AFTER I start putting in the substrate.

With any luck, I'll have a good chunk of the plants tomorrow. My package is also in Michigan, but with the New Year, I don't know exactly *when* it will get to my place. I figure I can plant the tank and use the powerhead to create water movement/co2 diffusement. :proud:

#16 ·
I went to my LFS today and picked up some goodies :)

First:

Not sure I'm sticking with this. But the new pieces of wood has been boiled and is now soaking in a large bucket. They aren't really placed in the substrate well in this picture, when I commit to a hardscape I'll push them in more.

And...

PLANTS!

I love my LFS. Unfortunately they didn't have much of selection this time, but I got what I need for now.

Not a great picture, but this is a crypt wendtii "Sunset".

This is supposed to be flame moss. It was the greenest moss they had, and I don't think I've tinkered with flame moss before, so I went for it.

I also got several small anubias, a larger anubias that has some slight spattering of white on it's leaves (SCORE!!), a little java fern, some vals, and DHG.

My ten pound CO2 tank has been switched out, so now I'm set to go. Hopefully I won't blow out my needle valve this time...

I totally forgot to put up a proper background on this tank before dumping a ton of substrate into it. Not sure how I'm going to deal with that yet...

I'll probably remove everything, scrub the hardwater marks out, rinse it off, and then put up the background (window tint, if I can pull it off) tomorrow. And then plant the tank :)

#20 ·
Just waiting for my hubby to get back with the RO water :)

If anyone knows me from a year or so ago, or followed my other threads, you'll know I have the worst luck with tap water. I don't know why. I'm also a total control freak, so fluctuating GH and KH levels irritate the bejesus out of me. I decided to just forgo tap water here and skip straight to full RO water with Equilibrium.

#21 ·
I'm curious how weekly water changes will go with what I am assuming is purchased(?) RO water. (1 month ago) I recently started up an aquarium with identical dimensions. The water changes are quite laborious for even that size. I have no idea how people do it without tap water !! :icon_eek:

#22 ·
The start up is a PITA, but after that it's not too bad. With all that substrate and driftwood, there's closer to 25 gallons of water or so. I change 12 gallons a week. Growing up my mom had several large salt water tanks, and the weekly 25% water changes were MUCH more strenuous. I want to get something around 75g or larger, but hubby said no (that's the nice version of what he said) until we own our own house :(

Ok, it's all planted. It looks pretty... sad. I'll be getting some more plants here soon, but most of them will have to be shipped.

Pictures after I upload them. The pictures are from my phone because any and all technology hates me.

#23 ·
Plants round one

This is what I ended up with in the first planting:

I was sharply reminded why I hate DHG. I started planting in tiny clumps, and then decided it wasn't worth it. Big clumps it is! I'll give them until I get the second round of plants and then trim the tops. I'm hoping I didn't tear their roots up too badly, I hate the rock wool they come in from the LFS...

My older daughter was my helper during this project. My younger daughter decided that my computer was more interesting...

I ran out of RO water and will get some later. Hubby's car won't start and he had to take mine out (which is the big car with the carseats). I need to check on my "big" hobby anyway ;)

#24 ·
My other hobby, btw:

I raise show rabbits with my mom, but since I can't keep them at my place, my mom is allowing me to keep them in her barn. My parent's live on the way to the store :)

Technically I don't have to check on these cuties, but I have several other does due. Most of them haven't had babies before, and they can be pretty hit or miss about making good nests and pulling enough fur.

#25 ·
Checked the tracking on my package for all the things I had to order. It went from Wisconsin to Michigan (arrived in Michigan on the 30th) and then it stayed at that facility for two days (You know, NYE and NYD). Ok, fine, fine. Well, apparently it ended up in OHIO at midnight. OHIO. It was AN HOUR AWAY FROM MY HOUSE and now it's in Ohio. Oh FedEx, why do you do this to me... I'm sure it just ended up on the wrong truck, and I'm glad nothing in there is, you know, living. But COME ON!!! I already put plants in a tank which I have no heater for, and I was holding off on using the co2 until I got the filter up and running.

Thank you, Murphy, for letting me know that your Law is still very much in effect for ALL my projects. I was so hoping that the first hiccup would happen, you know... later, but I guess since the plants ARE in the tank, the tank is flooded, and I've bought plants from two other TPT members, I guess now is a fitting time for things to go wrong...

*sigh* Guess I'll have to hook a line for the co2 up into my itty-bitty powerhead and diffuse the co2 that way until FedEx actually gets my package to me...

#27 ·
Package didn't arrive today, but that's ok. Nothing seems to be too out of sorts. I would dose some excel, but I don't know how well the vals will tolerate it- they seem kind banged up to begin with.

Anyway, look what I found! It was lost in the move, and I was so happy to find it again :)

I also bought new tests. Mine where going on three years old and I wasn't sure if they worked anymore. So one more thing I can check off my list :)

#28 ·
Good news: my package came in today!

Bad news: the filter is busted. Doesn't even make noise.

*sigh*

So, I ordered a new one. It'll probably come in next week.

Starting to dose Excel today in place of co2. I'll see how the vals tolerate it, but I'm not going to be heartbroken if they fail.

#29 ·
More plants!

Got my plants from Bartohog and maverickbr77 today, so my tank looks a bit less pathetic now :)

Flora list:
Anubias nana
Vallisneria nana (I think)
Crypt wendtii
Java Fern
DHG
Flame Moss
Blyxa Japonica
Rotala Wallichi
Rotala Nanjenshan
Echinodorus Vesuvius
Marsilia Minuta
Hygro brown.

Ok... plant list is starting to get a little on the long side. But aside from some more anubias I plan on putting in there, I'm going to put an end to my collectoritis.

FTS 1/7/13

Lots of filling in and growing to do.

Now I'm just waiting for the new filter to come in (which I'm *really* hoping will be tomorrow or Wednesday).

#30 ·
Looks great!! I am excited to see it fill in and whatever fish you plan to stock will look amazing in there and be very happy. I think should do GBR! They will be fine with a school of pygmy cories as there is plenty of space in a 29. Then a school of ember tetras like you said would look awesome as well. Then amanos for the cleanup crew. It would be a perfect 29g stock IMO. Good luck

#31 ·
Thanks! :)

I'll probably start stocking the tank with a handful of otos and then the tetras. After that, we'll see. I start working again next month (been a stay at home mom for almost three years now!), so I'll have some more money to spend on fishies!

My LFS either breeds GBRs or gets them from a local breeder, I forget which. Either way, I know they are super hardy and very healthy fish. My LFS rocks, btw. Don't know if I've said that enough :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.