The Planted Tank Forum banner

Woodshrimps and Diatom filter

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  macbrush 
#1 ·
A couple of Cadinal Neons have spots on them, and I have also quaranrtined all of my ordinary neons since I think they have NTD. So I fired up the diatom filter yesterday, to filter out the spores of NTD, and deal with the white spots. I have 4 Singapore Woodshrimps, and they always hang out near the filter outlet (I guess all of them do), but after started the diatom filter for a day, three of them disappeared from where they always are and I couldn't find them at all; its a 6 ft heavily planted, so its not always easy to find anything if it prefer to hide. This's never happened before, and I just wonder, if the diatom filter would filter out all of their food supply.

Any experience or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Kenneth

#4 ·
Thanks... maybe I should switch to UV instead.

#7 ·
I meant one or two of my Cardinals have had white spots appeared on their body (not anymore after a few days of diatom filtration and UV, i will keep them on for another week or so though.), while my ordinary neons have what it looks like NTD. Actually, I think one or two specimens from other spieces might also have NTD, a ram and a pencil to be specific, and now they are in the quarantine tank with the neons.

On the subject, now two of the disappeared woodshrimps have returned to their usual post, and from what I have observed, they should still have penty to eat. And I am still have a deserter to look for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.