The Planted Tank Forum banner

Swap Meet on Sunday 11/11/12

23K views 444 replies 32 participants last post by  acitydweller 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Theme for this meet: Ferts!

Met at LES and walking to the 5 LFS in the area.

More photos here http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.125229287631979&type=1

Start point at Pacific Aquarium on Delancy @ 2:30pm

Pacific aquarium, 123 aquarium, 38 aquarium, Win tropical and Aquastar on the tour route. We are still looking for indoor options on where to swap.

At this meet, the theme will be dosing. Anyone who's able to help put together sample packets to share great. Due to the short time and the other tours of late, i'm not sure if i can order and pack all this stuff to distribute as i had in the past for the clay and floaters so i'd ask if some of the other forum members can help out here or step up to help.

Been thinking of holding a raffle for a prize. Maybe we can sell tickets for $.25 - $3 depending on the value of the prize and number of people attending. drawing to be conducted by a random stranger passer by out of a hat or bag. Any interest, please speak up. could be anything like a bottle of prime, ferts, or anything people may want to contribute.

As always, the invitation is extended to everyone who has expertise or interest in the hobby or just like pretty fishes and shrimp. Murderers and hooligans need not apply.

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't do dose in my tank. So I have no idea how that works. I throw away a huge package that a friend gave me the other time. I look at it, it look back at me, and we just don't know each other. LOLOLOL

Should we post here for what we got for swap? is this just for swapping or also for selling? I got plants I really want to sell some to get my project going. Also looking for some plants so if anyone got I can do a trade or buy. If this is okay, I will post some pictures of what I got. LOL

#6 ·
Best to assess how many people would be interested. a sample of macros for $3 and a sample of Micros for $3 might suit a majority of people. Going by a drop a gallon will likely last several months. Would this be fair to everyone? remember we're going to start slow with the PPS Pro
method targeting smaller tanks but it may be applied to larger tanks equally in larger doses.

Thoughts?

#4 ·
In fairness to everyone, swapping is encouraged. A deal can be struck to satisfy both parties. These meets are not a commercial venture but a melding of minds to help each other out.

Those who bring nothing or have nothing to share should expect to make offers or buy things of interest. why? Because the plants we keep often are rare (not available locally), algae/snail free and come from hobby tanks and not in random sale tanks from the LFS. You are also getting the benefit of direct pickup with shipping fees waived.

Personally i often get back what they give many times over. I am a humble hobbyist but make an effort to pack and distribute what i can to save livestock and educate on how to keep their plants and shrimp happy and living. I hope this practice inspires others to do the same.

If anyone has concerns about this, please pm me.

#7 · (Edited)
***Gone for the weekend, have your stuff if I'm trading. Otherwise, see you Sunday!***

added ferts as I've moved to using pfertz

Have:

Deep Blue T5HE 30'' fixture (Normal Output, not High Output) 14 watts x 2
90% Tetra Dried Scuds
Ebi-Ken Nagomi Shrimp supplement balls (5), opened but not used
Dual airline control (ask me for a pic)
1.25 oz bottle API pH up (slightly used)
lots of goldfish flakes and pellets
Hikari Lionhead pellets (80%)

1 bottle each (new) - Seachem Phos, Potas, Trace
90% Seachem Iron, Nitrogen
1 pack seachem root tabs

Two Marineland timers (one wonky) - roak

#9 · (Edited)
Aight. Time to figure out what I have available. I'll edit this as I find stuff to give away/trade/sell. Also depends on how fast I can get stuff to grow in about a week.

Giant Duckweed
Subwassertang
Floater trailmix
Pothos cuttings (not aquatic rooted, but with rootbuds growing from the nodes)
Champagne yeast samples for DIY CO2 (enough to get you started)
6-tubed PVC pipe pyramid condo (for people with crayfish)
Some metricide-14 samples
Emersed DHG 'Belem' (I know one person was interested in this)
Some other plants I have yet to trim and grow out in a week.
Eublaberus Posticus nymphs (for those of you who are brave enough to try roaches as food for your fish)
2 - 1/2 gallon pickle jars (great for one of those nano-jar setups)

More stuff added:
Some guppy grass
Some hygrophila polysperma 'Ceylon'
1 tablespoon samples of crushed coral - for buffering your water

PICS

1/2 gallon jars. Only have one lid if you want. My hand can barely fit in but someone with smaller hands can easily do a small jar setup.

PVC pipe condo

Crushed coral

Metricide 14 - An Excel alternative, it's twice the strength of Excel.

EC-1118 aka Champagne yeast. The best yeast for DIY CO2 IMO when fed light brown sugar. Each packet contains enough yeast for 4 setups.

Emersed DHG 'Belem' - 5 inch diameter container.

Took about 5-6 weeks to get this dense but I started with only 15 or so plants. There might be some algae but nothing a little bit of H2O2 and CO2 can't fix.

It's very dense.

Eublaberus prosticus aka orange head roach nymphs. They get twice as big as the ones pictured. I can give you smaller nymphs if you're interested.

#10 ·
Aight. Time to figure out what I have available. I'll edit this as I find stuff to give away/trade/sell. Also depends on how fast I can get stuff to grow in about a week.

Giant Duckweed
Subwassertang
Floater trailmix
Pothos cuttings (not aquatic rooted, but with rootbuds growing from the nodes)
Champagne yeast samples for DIY CO2 (enough to get you started)
6-tubed PVC pipe pyramid condo (for people with crayfish)
Some metricide-14 samples
Emersed DHG 'Belem' (I know one person was interested in this)
Some other plants I have yet to trim and grow out in a week.
Am I the one person you are talking about? LOL

#17 ·
They can't climb smooth plastic. When I clean their enclosure maybe once or twice a year, I throw them all in plastic shoe container. So Im sure they can't climb. Apparently they breed faster than dubias. Also the nymphs are a lot meatier. You can feed them cat or dog food but I choose to feed them old fish food instead.

#14 ·
https://sites.google.com/site/aquaticplantfertilizer/home/pps-pro

Example of 1 litre bottles.
Pour into bottle #1, 59 grams of K2SO4, 65 grams of KNO3, 6 grams of KH2PO4 and 41 grams of MgSO4.
Pour into bottle #2, 80 grams of dry Trace Element mix.
Fill up both bottles with soft water to the 1 litre size and shake. Wait over night until dissolved.

Testing: We do not test for water parameters on settled aquariums. There is no need when levels become consistent.
Dosing: The proper dosing quantity is 1 ml of each solution per 10 gallon or 40 litre of aquarium size. Dose prior to lights turning on.

Examples:
5 gallon or 20 litre dose 10 drops
10 gallon or 40 litre dose 1 ml
50 gallon or 200 litre dose 5 ml
100 gallon or 400 litre dose 10 ml

i know its overly simplified but its meant to be an intro method for beginners...
If we stick to using dry dosing, perhaps we can pack them dry and let people pour them into quart containers and add water to use as liquid doses at their leisure. saves us the hassle of bottling and carrying water to the meet. though if you wanted to sell the bottles for $1.50-2 each, i think they would come in handy. judging by the dosage chart above... a larger bottle may be more practical.

#20 ·
I have about 10lb of Epsom salt somewhere. If mgso4 is indeed that, then I'm good to go.

Oh...wait, still need a drug dealer scale...lol

$2 for a little 2 oz bottle is not practical. The bottles I can get is 4oz or 8 oz.
$3 for the 4oz and an option of 8oz for $5 would be more reasonable

#15 · (Edited)
Up for Grabs (may or may not be fish related...):

Gel capsule samples- good for capping dry ferts like osmocote. I used a different brand, scotts? and haven't killed my fish yet. Let me know how many you want if interested, to cap your own. ED
Decapsulated Brine Shrimp Eggs samples- from YFS, they are tiny and my nano fish seem to like em but I've had my tetras not really enjoy them, won't have a lot to portion out depending on how many people are interested
Springtails- they look like the long, flea king instead of the globular ones. I have a lot. Use as fishfood or for cleaning your terrarium
Phoenix worms- I MIGHT have some to give out, depending how many are still alive- I can maybe give 1-2 to see if your fish like em. I give em to bettas and some are too small to handle them. CHIBI
Waxworms - same thing as above, just much larger and fatter. Only my giant danios are big enough to eat them(maybe the dwarf cichlids but the danios haven't given me the chance) CHIBIKAIE
Floater mix- duckweed, azolla, salvinia, frogbit, dwarf water lettuce, hygroryza aristata...whatever you need
Easy beginner plants- water sprite, anacharis, water wisteria, brazillian pennywort, cabomba
Ultrafine precipitated calcium carbonate- supplement for reptiles, birds, etc, but it does not dissolve into water calcium to be used by tank critters. unless they eat it. I have no idea if they would. anyone want to test it in an isolated experiment?
10/14 glowlight and neon/cardinal tetras- ACITYDWELLER
1 M german blue ram - disclaimer, hes not very vibrant. free though.
Baby kribs- as usual, dont have many since a family member wants most

Looking for:
microworm culture
daphnia culture
any interesting small inverts
ferts to try :p

Will edit this list as it changes...PM me!

#21 · (Edited)
Swap items

Cabomba caroliniana Green
Cabomba furcata (C. piauhyensis) Red
Myriophyllum Mattogrossense
scud cultures (15+ adults)
two golf balls of java moss
freeze dried brine shrimp
betta bites samples to last 1 year :)
Malaysian trumpet snails
Frogbit floaters
salvinia floaters

small air pumps (not confirmed to work yet.)

#28 ·
I ran out of ferts...underestimated what 160 grams would be, etc.

Have to order..... :icon_cry:

QUOTE=MeowKitty49;2057600]PPS Pro:
2L bottles
Use distilled water for mixing
Macros:
K2SO4 117g
KNO3 130g
KH2PO4 11g
MgSO4 81g
Micros:
CSM+B 160g

for 1 liter solutions just halve everything, but this is what I use so I'll jot down the amounts anyway

Macros:
K2SO4 59g
KNO3 65g
KH2PO4 6g
MgSO4 41g

Micros:
CSM+B 80g[/QUOTE]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.