The Planted Tank Forum banner

San fransisco or bust!

3K views 38 replies 18 participants last post by  Da Plant Man 
#1 ·
I am traveling to San Fransisco two weekends from now for a cousins wedding with my Dad. I think my Dad and I have a pretty good plan so far, however its always nice to hear other peoples opinions.

The plan:

Wake up early sunday moring. Ride BART from Walnut creek (where we are staying), go to Downtown SF, Take pictures, visit the pier, go to AFA, go to chinatown, and then go to a SF giants game (Thanks to my Uncle :) ) Since it is a 1:00pm game, it should be over fairly early, just enough time to see some more sights, then coming back.

Its going to be more of a "lets go here!" when we see it, instead of planning it all out. But I don't know all the good places to go see, so...What should I see?

Thanks!

#5 ·
Don't miss the Golden Gate Park. Lot's of picturesque scapes there for taking pictures along with some prime locations to visit for all tourist.

As far as fish shops... not sure if you'll be limited on time for only one day or what but you should def check out Ocean Aquarium and AFA.

#10 ·
Golden Gate Park, very nice place. Huge. I ran cross country back in the days there. Lost a shoe during a race and still kept going. Will never forget that place.

Not sure how the weather will be when you arrive there, as long as it doesn't pour rain too much, it's nice up there.

#12 ·
but definitely go to AT&T Park. nothing else like it. there's magic inside.
Second only to Yankee Stadium.

Golden Gate if the fog allows. You are at it's mercy!

Downtown is like most city downtowns for the most part. Lot of the same big name stores.

China Town is a pretty quick excursion. You can absolutely get the feel after an hour or so..

Coir Tower is my favorite. Worth a look. Keep an eye out for the cherry headed conures (the parrots of Telegraph Hill). If you can't see them you will surely hear them.

Fisherman's Wharf is a touristy snooze. If the sea lions aren't there, it isn' worth the time with so much else to do.

AFA is a don't miss no brainer. Lots to see there. Easy to bring home a souvenir.

If you were older there are quite a few beer bars and places to eat I could recommend.

#13 ·
Second only to Yankee Stadium.

China Town is a pretty quick excursion. You can absolutely get the feel after an hour or so..
Yankee Stadium would reign supreme if it had a Coke bottle slide, a mini ballpark, and a cable car in it.

Don't forget Japan town! Definitely better in my opinion. Much cleaner, shops are nicer, plus there's a bonsai store where you can buy cheap seiryu :flick:

#20 ·
I read a book that mentioned their burritos...

I went last year to a Giants game, went to china town, went up in the Hyatt hotel since my dad's buddy from highschool's wife works there at the desk.

I will try to check out golden gate park, AFA for sure, Japan Town maybe, and the Wharf. I know there isn't much time to do a lot, but since I have already gone once, I want to go everywhere I didn't go to before. :smile:

#24 ·
i like johnny rockets! theres one at the mall in concord. its a really fun place and its got that whole 50's feel to it.. :thumbsup:

if you have only 1 day and you're gonna be using public transportation, it'll be kinda hard to do lots of stuff because everything is so spread out

#27 ·
I have a question...would it be cheaper to buy the ADA amazonian soil I need be cheaper if I buy it from the store and put the bags in my suitcase on the plane (I get two bags and a carry on for free :) ) or just deal with shipping? I would take hiking back pack that is used for like 1 or two week trips so that way I could carry it easily. If it saves me $15 I think its worth it, but if not I am just going to deal with shipping.

#29 ·
I'm going up there this weekend. Weather is suppose to be really nice up there. It's a good 2 hour drive from where I"m at. For what reasons of going there? None really. Just wanted to take the new car for a nice day of cruising along with sight seeing.

Keep in mind the tow bridge is $5 to pass, and $5 to leave I think? It might have gone up again as usual.

But none the less, it's a cool cruise to Frisco if the weather is nice.

#30 ·
I'm going up there this weekend. Weather is suppose to be really nice up there. It's a good 2 hour drive from where I"m at. For what reasons of going there? None really. Just wanted to take the new car for a nice day of cruising along with sight seeing.

Will you be at AFA on sunday? I want to at least try to meet up with one forum member. :icon_mrgr

I am going to be there at opening (noon) I think. If not then, most likely around 5:00pm

#31 ·
Leaving today!

We are going to go to take Bart from Walnut creek to Embarcadero, then walk to Golden gate park (google says its only 5.4 miles. No biggie.). From there we can explore for around a hour, go to AFA, the bonsai shop, then AT&T park. We will most likely take a bus for half of it. Not all of it is going to be walking. Basically, its going to be a big loop. We are going to see the botanical gardens at the park. If we don't have time to go to AFA, we can always go after the game.

#35 ·
If you are fond of Ghiradelli chocolates, visit their factory outlet in San Leandro. You can buy really cheap chocolates by the boxes. Not the shop at at the embarcadero as they sell them only at retail price. chow!

#36 ·
Dont think we can make it that far away. Let alone go to a factory. I would be my Mom's best friend if I were to go though.

#39 ·
If we don't have time, we can take a taxi. We will be taking the bus, trolly, and other form of public transportation. I know I make it sound like we are only walking but we are most likely going to utilize public transportation. Sides, if you don't get to go to AFA before the game, there should be time afterwards.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.