The Planted Tank Forum banner

How's my stocking?

892 views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  black_envy 
#1 ·
For my 20 gallon high fish tank?
It has:
~5 Marble Hatchet fish
~3 Darter Tetras (about 99.9% sure on that)
~2 German Blue Rams
~1 Male Betta
~1 Bristlenose Pleco

The tank is heavily planted if that means anything. :bounce:

#3 ·
Hey, I think I have two females as they are both really pink :D But they do chase each other around the tank a lot :)

Oh and are darter tetras rare? I can't seem to be able to find much info on them and the petstore people had NO IDEA what kind of fish they were, but they sit up and balance on plants with just two of their fins and they adorable!

#4 ·
Oh and another question, I don't think it's crowded or overstocked yet and the whole middle of the tank is very bare to me because the rams, the darter tetras and the bristlenose pleco all stay at the bottom while the hatchets stay at the very top and the betta is all over. Now it's very lively to me because it has enough activity, but I would like to add a few fish that don't get over an inch long like threadfin rainbowfish or sparkling gouramis, would this be ok, or would I be overstocking? Like I said it's lively enough without them and I won't mind if the answer is no, I would just like something for the middle :D Oh and if I can, how many? I was thinking 3 or 5 but no more than that.

#6 ·
I'd say you're understocked, but I'm weird. In my 20h I have... quite a few fish. But I'm also running three filters through it and do water changes three times a week. xD

Three filters is for more flow. It's a river-esque tank. :D

#11 ·
To me that's a fully stocked 20gal.

You've got some larger/large biomass fish in there, plus a few moderately aggressive fish.

You can add more if you'd really like to- but it will significantly increase the amount of weekly maintenance on the tank (PWC) as well as increase the overall risk of aggression.

IMO also, threadfin rainbows are best in species tanks; they're pretty shy, delicate fish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.