The Planted Tank Forum banner

General Chat - Talk about anything!

69K views 1K replies 52 participants last post by  acitydweller 
#1 ·
Hoping this thread can be used for whatever nonsense, feel like asking questions? Ranting? Dropping in to say hi? Talking about your day? I'd love to hear about it.

Earlier today, there were comments on how we're all nerdy hahaha. So, what nerdy things aka hobbies do you guys like? I'm a big bio nerd and love learning up on animals and live stuff. And agreed, planted tanks...very sciencey. Too much, in fact :icon_eek:

#2 ·
I used to run a yo-yo shop for about 4 years before selling my stake in it!

I have a question regarding filters...I unplugged my filter, cleaned it out, plugged it back in...but no flow. What gives? The thing is on as it spewed out little bits of garbage, but there is no flow.

#7 ·
It might take a bit to get running again, I usually take a cup and pour some tank water into the flow box (assuming this is a hob) to get the suction going.

MrB, I missed out on the last BAS auction, never went before but I think I probably have work next Fri. I asked for the Sat next off because of NY Comic con : )

Monster, gave my first shot at plants this summer. Cue lots of things dying because plants are weird and I have no idea how to care for them. Ive got a rosemary bush still kickin' tho. I made a weird modgepodge of plants for my gecko tank recently, many are wilty because of compatibility issues but, eh. I love the spiky dracaena thing..its dying though, maybe I should take it out to salvage it.

#4 ·
You know you're getting old when you've known Aquastar and Pacific for almost 2 decades.

Those where the 2 stores, I purchased from when I started the hobby back when I was a teen. We would visit my grandparents on Mulberry so it was convenient for me.

Parking in that area was much easier too!

#9 ·
Is anyone interested in Bucephalandra sp. plants? here is the current plants that I have. if anyone has other types want to exchange, just PM me ;)

lamandau purple
sanggau
melawi blue leaves
kanowit sibu
lamandau green
melawi round leaves
motleyana
lamandau mini purple
sekadau blue
brownie ghost
sintang
sekadau

#14 ·
Canister and most hob filters need to be primed before a vacuum can develop. Pour water to fill the filter, connect the hoses up, then turn on.

Do any of you guys know if the peanut butter and jelly sandwich shop in the village is still around?

#27 ·
The aquarium rocks, I went last Friday. Doesnt hurt to live only 3 stops from coney island. Its free friday afternoons and I love it there. I can recognize a lot of fw fish now which makes it even more exciting- they have these biotopes from the amazon, brazil, malawi, etc.

#32 ·
Brooklyn Aquarium! We have the conservatory pass so it's free, heehee, used to go there every other week or so, and the beach is just outside! Frank from Frank's Aquarium works there too, lol.

The Bronx Zoo has some giant gouramis in the Asia Exhibit XDDDD I spend a good 20 minutes just sitting watching them every time I'm there.

#42 ·
Aw she looks so much like the kitten I found and kept for 3 years!

When I moved to Japan my roommate took her saying "if the cat loves me more than you when you get back, I get to keep her."

Of course whenever I came back the cat would bite me bc I had the nerve to leave!

Loved that mean, mean little girl!

#34 ·
If you go to the Bronx Zoo, also check out Tiger Mountain and the Butterfly Garden for the koi. Congo has some smaller tanks that are more specialized, including endangered cichlids from Lake Victoria and archerfish. There's also quite a colony of fish living in the alligator (or was it crocodile?) exhibit in Madagascar.

I haven't been to the NY Aquarium as a visitor since I was maybe six. I really need to find time to go :(

#37 ·
I'm in Brighton Beach, so the Aquarium is only a ten minute walk for me. BTW, I've been a t-shirt dealer at NYCC since the first one in 2006. I won't say which t-shirt stand I'll be at but hint - it's the best one. I'll take a dollar off your shirt purchase if you say the secret word, Cryptocoryne, but only if you pronounce it correctly. Seriously.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.