The Planted Tank Forum banner

What are some expensive fw fish?

9K views 66 replies 39 participants last post by  Jeffww 
#1 ·
Just wanted to know what are some expensive fish that would be good for a freshwater aquarium? I saw a few at my lfs and just wanted to know prices, looks and sizes of any freshwater fish. Thanks!

#4 ·
large arowana with a newer strain color
altums , htf dwarf cichlids near adult size, htf plecos and pretty much any in demand fish thats hard to find and @ mature size.

also new strains of fish such as Electric Blue rams, Large Electric Blue Jack Dempsey

and of course large dream discus var. & Large Leopard discus

#7 ·
Just out of curiosity, why are you asking ?
Do you want to stock a tank with the most unique, or rarest fish, even though they may be the most expensive ?

You'll note that several responders have mentioned discus. They are most certainly one of the most expensive freshwater fish you can get.

And you wanted to know prices and sizes, well, here's some, for discus:
- Small, young 1" to 2" discus (which can be quite difficult to keep and raise successfully) usually cost $10. to $20.
- Juveniles of 3" to 4" are normally in the range of $35. and up, to as much as $100., depending on the strain. Average price would be around $65.
- Near adults, or adults, of 5" or more, can run from $80. up to $200. approx., again depending on the strain, color & patterning selected.
- A proven mated pair can sell for as much as $500. or so.

You want to know what they look like ? There are literally dozens of different strains, colorations and patterns, almost all of them quite beautiful, in most people's eyes anyway. Simply googling discus images will produce numerous pics.

#10 ·
I'm really just trying to get ideas for future tanks, or out curiosity as i'm fairly new to planted tanks and want to see some beautiful fish. But if you want specifics lets just say I have a 20 gallon planted tank and would like to know what are some unique/rare fish that could make a good addition. :)

#12 ·
A 20g tank dramatically limits what you can put in it, as it's too small for many single fish. Additionally, other species which, by themselves, would fit in a 20g, won't be healthy or happy in less than a school of 4-6, which might be too much for a 20g.

Then there's water parameters. Rarer fish are generally more difficult to keep healthy, and might require specific pH/GH/temperature levels which many, or most, are unable or unwilling to keep up with.

Rather than ask what you did, I'd suggest asking for suggestions for fish given your personal standards: tank size, level of maintenance you're willing to keep up with, whether you'll want plants in there too (many fish are *not* plant-friendly), what you like in fish (color, size, activity level, etc.), and anything else you can think of. Oh, and how much money you're willing to spend.

#13 ·
A 20g tank dramatically limits what you can put in it, as it's too small for many single fish. Additionally, other species which, by themselves, would fit in a 20g, won't be healthy or happy in less than a school of 4-6, which might be too much for a 20g.
Nah man, there are TONS you can do in a 20. Just not a lot of room for variety. Tetras, rasboras, dwarf cichlids, cories, barbs, livebearers, list goes on and on.

#14 ·
I really just want to know whats out there for choices. Not really trying to focus on just a 20 gallon tank. but its what I have currently. I really just wanted to know what kind of fish out there that people would be willing to spend some bucks on. For any tank size.

#60 ·
Flowerhorns, arrowana, koi, and goldfish are the top 4 most expensive FW fish I know of. Monster fish can sell for a good penny as well. However if you're in it for the money these fish are very costly to breed. The catfish I collect that are "expensive" are impossible to breed/exceedingly difficult. I personally only spend a lot on a fish if I think its behavior or physiology or native habitat is interesting to me. Pick what you want based on YOUR OWN preferences, not how much it costs. The price of fish is normally based on rarity more than anything else.

#15 ·
Sorry but your question is just too vague for us to really help you. Start googling or visiting LFS's. I think you just need to put some effort into doing your own research and see what really catches your eye. Who cares how expensive or exotic others perceive the fish to be. Find what will help you get the most out of your tank for your level of interest. Join a club. Attend a convention. Visit AquaBid. Figure out what you like.

#31 ·
Ohh a biotope would be very cool, a sandy bottom, lots of smooth river stones and few planted areas. :fish:

I find rare fw are few because most fw fish are bred in captivity. If you go onto a saltwater forum and ask for rare SW fish you will get tons of responses. Most of them are deep water reef fish.

So yeah I think the OP is looking for the fw equivalent of Bells Flasher Wrasse, Bandit angels, masked angels, dr Seuss fish, conspicuous angelfish, candy basslet, coral sea mandarin wrasse etc.

#18 ·
I made this post just for the sake of seeing different fish. Not necessarily for my tank. I made it for the sense that it was vague, as I am interested in seeing all types, as opposed to what will just work for my tank. So I don't care what size fish, color, rarity, tank sizes, and conditions. Just post names or pictures of freshwater fish you like and think other posters/lurkers might like.

#24 ·
zebra plecos are really beautiful in photographs, but when properly housed are not that visible in a tank. Discus are beautiful, but not really what I consider an uber expensive fish in teh grand scheme of things.

I guess more important would be tank size, level of husbandry, etc

#28 ·
Personally I love freshwater stingrays. You can get some cheaper $75-$100 which are Florida stingrays, also known as teacup stingrays which do not grow as big. But Motoro stingrays are more beautiful, with great patterns, but will cost hundreds.
Like others have pointed out, Aquabid would be great site for you to check out rares, and prices. If you ever try to keep anything rare, make sure your setup is pristine for the perfect conditions needed for that species of fish.
Great question to see desired fish from all of us.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.