The Planted Tank Forum banner

Panoramic Mountain Scape - CRS Habitat

101K views 444 replies 97 participants last post by  JSmitty 
#1 · (Edited)
I started off this tank, with an attempt at a nice iwagumi style.. discovered why there really are not that many REALLY perfect iwagumi tanks. They take a lot of self discipline, patience and restraint.

I had a massive algae problem with it in the past few months, and have finally been able to get the upper hand on it, with the help of some really great advice from people here!

Anyway, the plants situation in there right now is not very good. Everything is just starting to recover, and I replanted everything a few weeks ago. All of my HC, UG and Belem hairgrass died quickly from being smothered by the algae.

Once it stabilizes I plan to cover the substrate with a full HC carpet, and perhaps some B.Hairgrass so that just the rocks are sticking out, like a scottish hillside.

Ahem.. except, last time I checked there were no magical floating islands floating over scotland. So.. ahh.. I don't care. I like floating magical islands, and it's MY Scotland. Hahahaha

I plan to update this thread with new pics once a week from now on. Hopefully it goes well now.

Specs

Tank: 12 Gallon Rimless (36"x8"x9")

Substrate: ADA AquaSoil

Lighting: Marineland Doublebright 36" (X2)

Ferts: YamatoGreen-N

C02: Pressurized paintball Co2, Flourite Excel

Filtration: Eheim 2213, dim* long spray bar. (*do it myself. :p )

Flora:

Hemianthus Callitrichoides

Fissiden Fontanus

Süßwassertang

Rotala Indica

Marsilea Quadrifolia

Hydrocotyle Verticillata

Hydrocotyle Sibthorpioides

Japanese "Belem" micro grass

Mini Pellia

Cuphea Anagalloidea

Fauna:

CRS and CBS

Ottos

Thanks for looking!

Pics!

**Original post**

Unfortunately, I skipped a few steps (didn't take photos).. so here's what the tank looks like now.. I can't wait for it to fill in!!

This is when I had two ZooMed 501 filters (one at each end)

Here's where I work :)

Moonlights!!

I found my wife's diamond earrings on the floor. Let's see if she notices.. hehe.

And, here are some of my CRS..

This is "Ebi-Wan-Kanobi".. get it? Get it? :p As I'm sure you know, "Ebi" is Japanese for "Shrimp"..

And this is "Was-Ebi":

I'd like you to meet "Ebi-Nee":

And last but not least, here's "Ebi-Murphy".. Ebi Murphy is a bit shy, but I did manage to get this picture:

That's about all I have for now. Thanks for looking!

Please check back (or subscribe to this thread).. I WILL be updating.

04-13-2011
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

I just scored today, this Eheim 2213 filter. It looks like new, and works flawlessly! (Thanks Justyn!)

So, I was running two ZooMed 501s, which I have now replaced with the Eheim. Much nicer!

It came complete with tap valves, which are not standard. I LOVE IT.

I decided to try adding the second LED Double Bright light I have. The problem was that both of them are don't quite fit on the top of the tank together, because the tank's too narrow. Also, instead of pointing straight down, I would prefer both strips to point at opposite parts of the tank, crossing each other's light rays.

So, I built wooden fixtures, rounded to fit them on top of the tank, and now they don't point directly down.

Perfect!! :)

Here are a few pics. I'll post some more once I put it on top of the tank... hope it's not too much light!

Started with some old bed slats..

Cutting and sanding:

Apply some of this to protect/darken the wood:

Before they were drilled and cut:

And, it's done! This was a learning experience.. I may end up buying a couple of thick pieces of acrylic and redo it.

I had to cut slots in the wood for the switches/ power cord. If I do it again with Acrylic, I'll make holes for that stuff. I think it will look neater.

I designed it to open:

Both sides! :)

All the way :)

:)

12 Gallon Iwagumi CRS tank ••• 2.9 Gallon Mini-S Nano Tree Stump

See less See more
#7 ·
What are the tap valves for?
They let you close off the hoses so you can carry the filter away for cleaning without taking the intake and outflow off the tank. Very handy.

I got nice CBS off Aquabid (Blueface) and eBay (freeman1020). Both sellers delivered exactly what was promised and the shrimp have really nice, solid, white on their shells.

#11 ·
Yes, because the tank is so low, the light doesn't have to penetrate far. I actually had to lower the photo period a little because I was starting to have an algae problem. As the tank settles more though, I should be able to run it longer.

I have hiding spots for the shrimp, in case the light is too bright for them.

#5 ·
This tank is awesome too. IMO, forget the co2 if the shrimp are your priority. It just adds another thing that is making them unhappy so if it's not necessary leave it be. Nice find on the 2213, you will be very happy with it. I couldn't do an Iwigumi tank, I love lush thick plantings and Iwigumis are to minimalist for my taste.

Kiran-the double taps/quick disconnects are on the Eheim Classics and are what you use when its time to do filter maintenance. You close them them then unscrew them co cut the water off from the intake/outflow and also from the filter. You can also use the valve on the outflow to control the flow by turning it down to your desired level of movement.

#12 · (Edited)
This tank is awesome too. IMO, forget the co2 if the shrimp are your priority. It just adds another thing that is making them unhappy so if it's not necessary leave it be. Nice find on the 2213, you will be very happy with it. I couldn't do an Iwigumi tank, I love lush thick plantings and Iwigumis are to minimalist for my taste.
I'll probably end up just letting everything grow in there! lol. Hard to resist. I guess that's why a really nice, true Iwagumi is hard to find.. Yes, I think I'll take your advice and ditch the idea of C02 for this one.

#17 ·
Thanks! The light seems a lot more dispersed now, and less "spotlight". Amazing what a few degrees and an inch or so can do. :)

Nice work. It looks as though you have the lighting sickness that everyone catches when doing a planted tank. Im not too familiar with LED lights but I hope its not too much.
I'm not sure if it's going to be too bright. Most people's complaints with these lights are that they are too weak, but my tank is so shallow, that I think they are fairly high light.. I'll be experimenting with the height of this fixture, photo-period and stuff.. will keep you posted.

Nice setup. I really like the lights. I got the same light from someone and was planning on replacing some of the leds with more powerful ones. I wish Marineland would have used more powerful leds than just the wimpy 1 watts.
Yeah, I do agree with you here. Like I said above, my tank is so shallow that these lights are very bright (maybe too bright), but for any regular tank, they'd be pretty useless for anything other than crypts and anubias. They do make a "Reef Capable" version, however which has more LEDs per foot, and each LED is more powerful. I haven't seen this one in person, but I'd say that would be plenty of light for just about any planted tank. (Would cost a pretty penny though!)

Very Nice!!! i love the look!
Thank you very much. More pictures coming soon.

:)

#18 ·
I love this tank! Just a word of caution tho the marineland fixtures like to overheat and start flickering. We had one on a display tank at work and we eventually ditched it for a different led fixture. So just keep an eye on it. You have a gorgeous tank tho. Keep us updated.

#19 ·
Aw, thanks.. that's really nice of you to say. I'll be updating this thread with new photos as much as possible.

I didn't know about the overheating/flickering issue!.. Usually their support is pretty good, so I'll keep an eye out for it, and if it happens I'll have them replaced.
Ironically, the reason I bought these, instead of T5 or something, was because of the low heat. CRS like to have colder water, so I figured LEDs would be the best option.

#20 ·
Fyi, every time I put new pictures or updates in, I'll edit the first post and add them there instead of adding them further down the thread, so that way you dont have to scroll through pages and pages to see all the photos. Will there be a problem with this? Does anyone else do it this way? Sorry, I'm new to this forum stuff.

Comments etc will still work, here. :)

#21 ·
Fyi, every time I put new pictures or updates in, I'll edit the first post and add them there instead of adding them further down the thread, so that way you dont have to scroll through pages and pages to see all the photos. Will there be a problem with this? Does anyone else do it this way? Sorry, I'm new to this forum stuff.

Comments etc will still work, here. :)
There's likely a limit to the size a single post can be, or how many pictures it can contain. Shame because it's easier to track the photos that way, as you said :)

#24 ·
I have updates!! :) ... Pics soon (maybe tonight, but it's getting late, so maybe tomorrow instead.

I got 3 more beautiful SS+ CRS

I got some Downoi

I finished my wooden light fixture with 2 X Marineland LEDs..

... and I got some more Otos, in an efford to take care of the brown algae issue I seem to be having. :(

#25 ·
Okay, so back to the regular posting. I'll just put the pictures at the last page as it goes.

.. had to add little feet to raise fixture so the filter tubes would fit. Also it looks better (the light is less "spotlighty") with the few extra inces.

Both lights open with hinges.

Blue.

Cover on

I'll take some good pictures of the actual tank today.

#28 ·
Thanks Amy.. yes I'm a fan of the domed look too. It actually helps with the lighting, because instead of pointing directly down, the rays cross each other.

seriously, nice woodwork and nice tank. love the shrimp names too. favorite is probably 'ebi murphy' - i just think back to his RAW performance where he's pretending to be a woman, going "ED-DY, ED-DY" - but instead it's now "E-BI".
Hahahha!!! I can picture it. :p
Thanks for the comments. This hobby is so fun.

#39 ·
So, my wife took some awesome pics of my tanks when she got home from work today! (She's a much better photographer than I)

I'm lucky she's so supportive of my hobby!

Sorry, the tank is a bit of a mess.. brown algae, and I really need to organize and decide which plants can stay and which have to go. I want to simplify it.. any suggestions?

I love the Downoi..

This is one of my newest CRS. Very solid colors on the three new ones I got. I love the little white dots on his crown.

The Belem Dwarf Grass is uprooted a bit here.. It's recently planted, and hasn't established yet.

Mirror mirror on the wall... "Snow White" admiring herself.

You can see some of that horrid brown algae here. :( It wreaked havoc with my UG patch (not pictured) and I almost lost all of it.. Need to get rid of it..

Snow White and Was-Ebi are out on a date.

I think Was-Ebi ditched Snow White.. or she got side tracked by a mirror..

Thanks for looking!

#45 ·
Thanks Nikki, they're not bad quality huh?

The fixture idea started because two of those lights didn't have room to fit side by side on top of the tank, so I had to figure out a way to tilt both to fit. Serendipitously, they seem to put out a better wash of light, going slightly tilted and the rays crossing.

I'm actually half way through making new ones, with nicer hard wood, and less hacked together. These took lots of trial and error to build! If you (or anyone else) wants to make some, I can send the exact measurements, or scan them at actual size to use as a guide, because it's pretty tricky to get just right. :)

PS. My wife LOVED that you said that.. haha. She's a shoe girl. They're her favorite thing to collect. She gets shoes, I get shrimp. Deal.

Do you have almond leaves in the tank? It looks like the water is slightly tannin stained, maybe from the wood.

The night mode shot looks like there is a rave going on in there. Pretty cool.

Are you/your wife using a certain lens for the Macro shots or is that just the stock setup with whatever camera you own?
Thanks :) No almond leaves. I don't really know why the water is going yellow. Could it be the Aqua Soil? It can't be the wood, because I had that in a (much smaller) tank for a long time, and never got yellow water. That wood has been under water for about ten years! haha.

Stock lens.. Canon XTi.. (their base model I think)

My wife does part time photography (when she's not at her big girl job), so she knows her way around a camera. She always seems to take better pictures than me, with the exact same camera. Boo.

#44 ·
Do you have almond leaves in the tank? It looks like the water is slightly tannin stained, maybe from the wood.

The night mode shot looks like there is a rave going on in there. Pretty cool.

Are you/your wife using a certain lens for the Macro shots or is that just the stock setup with whatever camera you own?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.