The Planted Tank Forum banner

150W MH over 65G Tall

839 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  deek248 
#1 ·
Would a single 150W MH work over a 65G tall (36" L x 18" W x 24" H)? I also a second but if one will have enough foot print I'd prefer the single for a cheaper hydro bill.

#4 ·
I think you should sell it and go with dual 70 W fixtures. The center brace will block a lot of light if you just use one, and you'd have to have the light very high to light something 36 inches long unless you don't want shady ends and a bright middlen(with a big shadow right in the middle due to your brace.)

#5 ·
It will work, but not too well.

MH will only cover about a 2 foot length of your tank. beyond that, they are not too effective. So, if you use one, you'll get a bright center and dim ends, or a bright side and a dim side. This can be ok, if you build your aquascape around the light pattern.

I once used a 175w MH on a 36 inch long 30 gal tank, and it was an issue.

The bottom line is that you could do that, but I think you'd be much better off with two bulbs aven if you had to make them lower power. I believe you can get MHs as low as about 70w, but you'll need to shop around, and you need to replace the ballast.

#6 ·
thanks for the link mate!
i'm running two 70w m.h. @ 10k over a 28gal bow front now with just some V. spiralis and rubra in it for the time being. diy yeast co2 and PMDD
used to be a mini reef tank and was looking into lamps more appropriate for freshwater plants and have not found any till your post!:thumbsup: Odd size lamp.
So far they seem to like the 10k lights though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.